Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermenting duvel clone suck back avoidance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
highgravitybacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeerbeer123 View Post
Hello everyone..I am getting geared up for a duvel clone..I with pitch at 62*F with a 3L starter and allow to rise to 78*-80* over 5-7 days..then i will cold crash to 33*F-35*F and lager for 3-4 weeks..Anybody think its a good idea to replace the airlock/blowoff with a balloon or some tin foil during the lagering stage to prevent "suck back"? anybody ever try this method?..I know i can use vodka but i want to eliminate suck back all together..also after the lagering stage i will raise the temp back to the low 60's to begin the bottling phase..so im quessing this fermentation schedule will almost invite suck back..your thoughts and ideas will be appreciated..thank you Cheers
You you replace it with a solid stopper, then put a carboy cap on top of the stopper and use a zip tie to hold the carboy cap in place. That should do a pretty decent job.

I have some ciders in 1 gallon jugs I do something similar with. Solid stopper that I put a screw cap over top of. They've been sitting for the last four months without any problems.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
beerbeerbeer123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

well thank you everyone for your input..I think im gonna go with a super long blow off tube 6'-8' always have tubing lying around which i will make a bunch of loops or the tin foil method secured with a rubber band..the tin foil seems the easiest and probably effective or maybe even a foam stopper used for starters
thanks again everyone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply