Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermenting a Big Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 03:53 AM   #21
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 686 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 271

save the champagne yeast for later. wine yeasts can't digest maltose so that will be left behind. champagne yeast is also a "killer yeast", it will kill any sacc in there.

as suggested above: get a high gravity yeast (wlp090, wpl099, 1056, some of wyeast's belgian strains, etc), make a starter, and pitch that at high krausen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyMuffins View Post
I won't be able to get out to the store till Saturday. Will that be too late?
sooner is better, but you should be fine.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #22
SpeedYellow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyMuffins
I won't be able to get out to the store till Saturday. Will that be too late?
After a week and a half, the beer will probably be either done or stuck, and pitching more yeast at that point may not help much. Can't hurt though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply