Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > fermenting below reccomended temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
badmajon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default fermenting below reccomended temp

My yeast (wlp005 whitelabs british ale) reccomends a pretty narrow 66-68 degrees, I'm getting a near constant 63.5-64.5 with my wort, is this a problem?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 01:46 AM   #2
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

No problem. Once fermentation begins the actual wort will be several degrees warmer due to the conversion of the suagrs to alcohol. You will be fine.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Old 05-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
badmajon
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Oh no I mean the wort itself is 64ish, I did a thermometer reading. It started at 71f for a couple of days to get the fermentation going then I put it in a cooler I made which dropped the temp down to 64. its on day 6 now.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

As long as you are not in the low 50's where the yeast could go dormant, you are fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
Chuck_Swillery
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
As long as you are not in the low 50's where the yeast could go dormant, you are fine.
...yeah, that...

Will run for beer...

Old 05-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Where did you get those temp ranges?

WLP005 British Ale Yeast
This yeast is a little more attenuative than WLP002. Like most English strains, this yeast produces malty beers. Excellent for all English style ales including bitter, pale ale, porter, and brown ale.
Attenuation: 67-74%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-70°F
(18-21°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

Old 05-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

It's been my experience with White Labs that they recommend temps that are on the high end as compared with Wyeast for what is reported to be the same strain. From the chart on Mr Malty, that White Labs yeast, WLP005, is the same as Wyeast 1187, Ringwood, for which Wyeast recommends 64-74.

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

White Labs also recommends that you start fermentation warm then cool the beer. I don't generally agree with their recommended temps or the idea of pitching warmer then cooling. If you pitch enough yeast (ie, a starter is used too) then you can pitch the yeast at or below the fermentation temp depending on what that temp is. I usually pitch 1 or 2 degrees below fermentation temp wth great results.

That said, I've never used Ringwood. But with other White Labs yeast I've fermented below their recommended temp without any problems. I don't ferment below 64 though...

Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think that they recommend certain temps to achieve certain flavors that they describe. Ales, will ferment fine in the low 60s, just slower.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
I think that they recommend certain temps to achieve certain flavors that they describe. Ales, will ferment fine in the low 60s, just slower.
Could be. But I almost always ferment cooler than they recommend. WLP023 Burton Ale, for instance, says 68-73 and I tend to ferment that at 66-67. Not a large difference. But that one's already very, very fruity. Can't imagine fermenting it at 73. I think Wyeast generally says 60-72, which I'd consider a better indicator or the safe zone for ale yeasts, with some variation in flavors of course. I tend to use 64-68 myself though (except for Belgians).

Old 05-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHollingsworth View Post
Could be. But I almost always ferment cooler than they recommend. WLP023 Burton Ale, for instance, says 68-73 and I tend to ferment that at 66-67. Not a large difference. But that one's already very, very fruity. Can't imagine fermenting it at 73. I think Wyeast generally says 60-72, which I'd consider a better indicator or the safe zone for ale yeasts, with some variation in flavors of course. I tend to use 64-68 myself though (except for Belgians).
I agree very much. I really don't like going to 70 except for a belgian.

Quick Reply