New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermenting AGAIN at Bottling Time??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
erikhillard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermenting AGAIN at Bottling Time??

New behavior for me on this batch..

Peat Smoked Porter extract kit from Northern Brewer. 7 weeks since brew date. Was transfered to secondary probably 3-4 weeks ago. Fermentor has been in my basement the entire time with a temp around 60-70.

Bottling time. I'm a week or two later than I would normally bottle but just been slammed with work and just getting to it now.

Noticed a very slight dots of foam last night. This morning I go down to clean bottles and notice the foam has spread across the top and the airlock is bubbling. Literally looks like fermentation is starting up again.

I'm not going to bottle it now in its current state. I'm really surprised this is happening tho and a tad bit worried.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

Erik Hillard
York Blvd Home Brew
Los Angeles CA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

Did you move or bump the fermenter? Like do you bottle upstairs and brought it up in preparation? Or is there a temp change? Any of those things could cause a partially stuck fermentation to start again, even if you didn't know it as stuck.

Take a gravity reading and see where it's at.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
erikhillard
Recipes 

Hmm.. it has been a bit colder than normal here in Los Angeles the past few months. Fermentor probably was below 65 at times.. Maybe it was stuck.. First time I've been in this situation. I will pull out the hydrometer and post the results. THANKS.

Last edited by erikhillard; 03-06-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
erikhillard
Recipes 

Specific gravity reads 1.022

The Northern Brewer instruction sheet reads Original Gravity at 1.062. I didn't take a reading after brewing the wort. I know I need to start doing this stuff but I guess I haven't fully understood the readings and the reasoning behind them. Looks like I will starting doing that now.

I did slightly move the fermentor yesterday when I examined it. Maybe thats all that happened. It doesn't seem to be getting more foamy but I think I'm going to wait a day to bottle to make its not starting to ferment again.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Yeah check it again in a day or so. You might have un stuck or kicked up a slow or stuck fermentation. You haven't been in a hurry so far, so it won't hurt to wait a couple days to make sure.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
erikhillard
Recipes 

Ok.. thanks Revvy.. correct me if I'm wrong, but if the SG is pretty much the same in a day or two then the beer is ready for bottling.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhillard View Post
Ok.. thanks Revvy.. correct me if I'm wrong, but if the SG is pretty much the same in a day or two then the beer is ready for bottling.
We say if it stays the same over 3 days, so if you took it today and then again on monday if they were the same then the theory is that it is done.

In this case if it doesn't change tomorrow I guess you could, I'm a little nervous about it being at 1.022, personally 1.020 is the top of my fermenting comfort range.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:53 AM   #8
erikhillard
Recipes 

I'm going to bottle it. SG is still 1.022. Beer tastes fine.

Erik Hillard
York Blvd Home Brew
Los Angeles CA

Old 03-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I'd suggest giving yourself some insurance by putting those bottles in a rubbermaid container, or at the very least double-bagged in a trash bag. Never can be too careful with glass.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply