New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > fermenter to keg and back?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
teamhzrdpball
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default fermenter to keg and back?

Like the title says. Has anyone racked from their fermenter to a keg before realizing they want to then go back to the fermenter to let the beer ferment down a bit more?

I brewed a maple brown porter with an OG around 1.065. It had a fast and active fermentation with s04 yeast and after 3 days airlock activity stopped. A few days later I racked to a keg and took another gravity reading and it was 1.03. I know I should have done this beforehand, but got a tad impatient. Either way, its been in the keg for a few days and I think I want to send it back to the carboy and repitch a yeast to finish it up. Has anyone done this, and if so do you have any tips? Do you reaerate the beer? Because that sounds like a bad idea, but would the yeast not do their thing without that initial oxygen?

(The beer does taste good as is, though I think it would benefit from fermenting down to about 1.017-1.02ish)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 89

If it were me I would leave it in the keg at room temperature then check the gravity after a week or two and see if it's any better. If yes you can then rack it to a new keg to get the beer off the yeast. I've done this successfully in the past.

Definitely don't re-aerate at this point. You'll only oxidize the beer.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3858 Times on 2819 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
If it were me I would leave it in the keg at room temperature then check the gravity after a week or two and see if it's any better. If yes you can then rack it to a new keg to get the beer off the yeast. I've done this successfully in the past.

Definitely don't re-aerate at this point. You'll only oxidize the beer.
That's what I was thinking. There is nothing magical about a carboy- beer can ferment as easily in a keg as in a carboy.

Quick Reply