Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation too cold? What will happen?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
gregblatz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation too cold? What will happen?

Hi All,
So, I have learned the hard way about warm fermentation in July. Now I am in the dead of winter in OH and my basement stays at a constant 59 degrees. The rest of the house fluctuates too much in temperature.

I have 3 fermenters going at the moment. Two of them are Wyeast 1056 - American(60-72 degrees), and 1 is Wyeast 1728 - Scottish(55-75 degrees).

So, my question is, what can I expect when I am at the bottom range of the recommended fermentation temperatures? Any off flavors, stuck fermentation etc... ?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Not with those yeasts, I don't reckon. 001 just took a Blonde I did from 1.054 to 1.008 in 2 days at 60 degrees.

You'll get a little bit of the smokey phenolic with the Scottish at that temperature, which I think is a good thing.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
Not with those yeasts, I don't reckon. 001 just took a Blonde I did from 1.054 to 1.008 in 2 days at 60 degrees.

You'll get a little bit of the smokey phenolic with the Scottish at that temperature, which I think is a good thing.
I like 1056 at the low end of its fermentation range. It's "cleaner", almost lager like in character, with no notable esters. I haven't had any issues with attenuation with it, either.

I don't know about the Scottish, so I'll defer to pseudochef on that one!

Old 01-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I like 1056 at the low end of its fermentation range. It's "cleaner", almost lager like in character, with no notable esters. I haven't had any issues with attenuation with it, either.

I don't know about the Scottish, so I'll defer to pseudochef on that one!
Good, that's what I was going for with this Blonde, although I overshoot gravity, so my "session" beer is now 5.7% abv. I don't think I've used 001 for about a year or so until I brewed this!

I read something you posted in similar thread about your Denny's 50 being sluggish at the low temperature and I'm just reporting that it happened to me as well (around 60-62) - at two weeks I'm only around 60% attenutation - did yours finish out or is it still going?

Old 01-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

the fermentation will take longer. if the temps drop to much the yeast could go dormant and fermentation will stop till things warm up again. but if your right and the temp says constant then you don't have to worry about that.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
the fermentation will take longer. if the temps drop to much the yeast could go dormant and fermentation will stop till things warm up again. but if your right and the temp says constant then you don't have to worry about that.
As I stated above, I have had no trouble with either of those yeasts at lower fermentation temperatures attenuating or becoming lengthy. If you are pitching the proper amount of healthy yeast, fermentation will be fine.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Good, that's what I was going for with this Blonde, although I overshoot gravity, so my "session" beer is now 5.7% abv. I don't think I've used 001 for about a year or so until I brewed this!

I read something you posted in similar thread about your Denny's 50 being sluggish at the low temperature and I'm just reporting that it happened to me as well (around 60-62) - at two weeks I'm only around 60% attenutation - did yours finish out or is it still going?
some "session" beer! But it sounds great!

The Denny's was sluggish, but finished well in the first beer. The AAA went from 1.065 to 1.015, which was perfect. The second one went from 1.055 to 1.015 (at the 60-61 degree range).

The Irish draught is now six days old, and it has gone from 1.055 to 1.018. It's sitting at 60 right now, and I'm considering raising the temp to 62-63 to see if I can coax a few more points out of it. The krausen is gone, but there are still some signs of fermentation- lots of bubbling, an almost "carbonated" appearance, and it's still cloudy. I think it'll finish where I'd like to see it at 1.013-1.014ish. Of course, I used a starter with washed yeast.

Since I just checked the SG of the Irish, I took a sample. Wow- it's going to have that "luscious" mouthfeel described in the literature for that yeast, even using a pound of honey in the recipe.

Anyway, I've used nottingham (dry yeast) sucessfully at 60 and a bit under, with great results, and the WLP001 and the Wyeast 1056 at 60 degrees.

Someone told me (was it you, pseudo?) that they got some peachy esters from S05 fermented below 63 degrees, but I'm trying it now with an AAA recipe. The s05 is bubbling along at 62 right now.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
gregblatz
Recipes 

OK, that is a relief. Thanks for the input guys. I had a starter for each of the batches and the activity looks good up to this point.
Thanks again.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Yeah, I did get some peach from S-05 on the lowed end of the temp range. However, I'm not sure if it was a product of someone else telling me they tasted it as well. I have a pack laying around that I want to do a side-by-side with 001 to see if I can see a difference blind before I continue spouting off my dislike of S-05!

Old 01-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregblatz View Post
OK, that is a relief. Thanks for the input guys. I had a starter for each of the batches and the activity looks good up to this point.
Thanks again.
You're welcome! Please report back on the results, since this seems to be something we Northerners have happen each winter.

Quote:
Yeah, I did get some peach from S-05 on the lowed end of the temp range. However, I'm not sure if it was a product of someone else telling me they tasted it as well. I have a pack laying around that I want to do a side-by-side with 001 to see if I can see a difference blind before I continue spouting off my dislike of S-05!
I'll make notes on my cool S05 fermentation, and see if I can pick up any esters from the low temps. It's supposed to be a Bell's amber clone, and I used willamette and cascade, so I don't know if I'll pick up any even if they're there, to be honest.

Quick Reply