*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > "Fermentation" Times

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
jmm20010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default "Fermentation" Times

So some recipes say let the wort "ferement" for 4 weeks and some say to "ferment" for about 2 weeks. My question is, will I ALWAYS benefit by letting my beer ferment for 4 weeks even if the recipe may call for less time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

The most accurate answer is that--given solid sanitation, of course-- you won't ever be harmed by leaving it for four weeks. Whether there's significant benefit from the extra two weeks is a matter of some debate here.

FWIW, my everyday beers (1.070 or less) almost never go beyond 10 days in fermenter unless I'm too busy to bottle or keg them, but then again I pitch the right amount of yeast with a starter and closely control my fermentation temps. I believe the current HBT party line is "4 weeks minimum", however, with an eye to letting the yeast clean up after themselves. As I said, there's generally no harm in it!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Cranny04
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf
The most accurate answer is that--given solid sanitation, of course-- you won't ever be harmed by leaving it for four weeks. Whether there's significant benefit from the extra two weeks is a matter of some debate here.

FWIW, my everyday beers (1.070 or less) almost never go beyond 10 days in fermenter unless I'm too busy to bottle or keg them, but then again I pitch the right amount of yeast with a starter and closely control my fermentation temps. I believe the current HBT party line is "4 weeks minimum", however, with an eye to letting the yeast clean up after themselves. As I said, there's generally no harm in it!
This.

My normal ales (not high OG, no fruit or dry hops) Get kegged at 14 days.

Like Piratwolf said there is probably no harm in leaving it longer. I have not seen that much of a benefit in my beers that I have left longer than two weeks, but I didn't see any detriment in them either...

My Blog: Bros Beer

Quick Reply