Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation temps got a little high

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 05:32 AM   #1
Yankeehillbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Fermentation temps got a little high

So, i went on a little road trip over the last 24 hours. I forgot to ask SWMBO to change out the ice bottles on my fermentation vessel. I got home tonight and the water bath was at about 74. I figure it was probably fermenting too warm for at least 12 hours.

My question is, How long does it take for damage to be done by high ferm temps? I pitched a fresh pack of US05 to this batch on Sunday evening.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Is it still actively fermenting (i.e. airlock activity)? If the beer is actively fermenting, so with a krausen/airlock activity/gravity readings dropping then the yeast are liable to produce off flavours. 74F tops out the acceptable range for US05, I think the documentations says 75F, so you should be just fine. How long do you usually leave the beer in the primary?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2117 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

I think that if the main fermentation (before the krausen drops) is complete, the amount of off flavors is significantly reduced. But I know form experience that the first couple of days is critical. I've ramped up the temp after the hard ferment without major problems.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Jester369
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If the bath is 74, you can pretty safely bet the beer is significantly warmer. At least while fermentation is still active, anyway. I have had high temps screw up a batch in 24 hours - not sure if 12 would be enough to do it, but you'll find out

Old 09-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlyn1 View Post
Is it still actively fermenting (i.e. airlock activity)? If the beer is actively fermenting, so with a krausen/airlock activity/gravity readings dropping then the yeast are liable to produce off flavours. 74F tops out the acceptable range for US05, I think the documentations says 75F, so you should be just fine. How long do you usually leave the beer in the primary?
Yeah, I brewed it on Sunday night. I ferment in SS pots so no airlock, but I can tell that it's going because I can smell it. I usually Primary for 2 weeks and then transfer to my Secondary for at least a week, but the last couple of batches I've let sit for 2 weeks in Secondary. I'm glad to hear that the range for US05 is that high, makes me feel better. Thanks.

Homercidal, your point is why I'm a little concerned. The first few days are definitely critical. I had a Kolsch that got too warm a while back, and it was definitely off, but that was with Kolsch yeast. I guess we will see in a few weeks.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester369 View Post
If the bath is 74, you can pretty safely bet the beer is significantly warmer. At least while fermentation is still active, anyway. I have had high temps screw up a batch in 24 hours - not sure if 12 would be enough to do it, but you'll find out
Yeah I figure it was probably 78-79 in the fermentor, maybe higher.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Unless your water bath is very small, I'm not so sure your fermenter will be that much warmer than the water bath. Mine covers about 1/3 of the bucket and usually doesn't vary by more than a degree or two (unless I've just added ice). US-05 seems to be a more forgiving dry yeast also. You're probably fine, not much you can do now anyway but get the temps back down and see how it tastes in a few weeks.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Quick Reply