Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation temperature too hot?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2009, 05:14 AM   #1
eon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermentation temperature too hot?

Hello all,

I have my american pale ale using Safale US-05 yeast in the primary. The crystal thermometer that came with my brewing kit is reading 75 degrees. Can this be accurate? is this too hot?

I have the fermenter in my basement. It's not too cold. It seems just right down there.

I had the fermenter in my bedroom closet and the thermometer was at 73 so I moved it down stairs trying to get the temp down a little. Now it's up two degrees!

You must brew the beer you want to see in this world.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2009, 05:18 AM   #2
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

they tend to be off some, the ones i have.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Sure, it can be accurate. During fermentation it's not uncommon for the wort temp to be 5+ degrees over ambient. That's the main reason I (and many on here) have designed some sort of method to keep the temps under control. Do a search for 'fermentation chamber' and plenty will come up. In the mean time, put a wet t-shirt over the bucket/carboy. That will help bring down the temp for the short term, but it looks like your gonna have to do some planning for your next brew......

Quick Reply