Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation Tempatures? Best Temp? How important is stable Tempature?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4462 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinofarts View Post

Before this I been using a heating belt and my temps were up and down like a jockey's balls.

Will this definatly impove my beer. I am no expert but it seems already to be a much more controlled balanced fermentation.
I actually did the LOL thing at the jockey comment. I never heard that expression before, and now I have a new phrase to share with random people. Usually my kids get the bulk of my sophomoric humor. They've both perfected the "eye roll" but they do laugh.

I keep my temperatures stable throughout their time in the fermenter, bringing them up just a couple of degrees at the end of fermentation. I like to ferment at the low-mid range of the yeast strains' fermentation temperatures and then finish it at the mid-upper range at the very end.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
grndslm
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I keep my temperatures stable throughout their time in the fermenter, bringing them up just a couple of degrees at the end of fermentation. I like to ferment at the low-mid range of the yeast strains' fermentation temperatures and then finish it at the mid-upper range at the very end.
Why is this??

Old 04-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
peterson82
Recipes 

I would add that fermentation is all about happy healthy yeast. You're goal is not to stress them. Higher temps don't really stress them, they like warmer temps, but if the yeast fluctuate in temperature they will become stressed. Stress causes all kinds of effects that are not desirable. On the flip side, higher temps can add to fusel alcohol and ester production.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4462 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 868

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
Why is this??
I like a "cleaner" yeast flavor in many beers, unless they are supposed to have a certain yeast character like in Belgian beers or some English beers. I dislike fruity flavors (esters) in American pale ales, for example, and will ferment at the lower range of the yeast strain's optimum range. I raise the temperature slightly at the tail end, just to make sure the yeast don't get lazy and fully attenuate.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
rhinofarts
Recipes 

OK, Thanks for the replies. I have left it for 3 days at 18C, and now today I have increased it to 22C, there is no fear of room temps bringing it up higher, as it's always cold in Ireland. Will I let her ferment away at 22C now? I want to get my temp control sorted, to rid my beers of s**ty flavours. Thanks!

Quick Reply