Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation temp question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
bacchusmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Default Fermentation temp question

IM struggling to understand where and how I want to control my temps. I have a chest freezer with a Johnson control.

Normal process: I brew 60% of my beers with white labs 001 so ill use my target temps assuming I'm using that strain. I strap the temp probe to the outside of my bucket/carboy using painters tape. I then bring the temp down to about 63 degrees. Then I pitch and reset the temp to 67.

If it's a normal gravity beer I let it stay at 67 for about 2 weeks and monitor sg. If it's a bigger beer I let it go for a few days, then I will raise the temp to about 69 over the course of a few days to encourage the yeast to finish off the rest of the sugar.

Does the process/targets sound about right? I ask because I've had some trouble hitting my final gravities recently and I'm trying to exclude temps as the issue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 746 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 237

Try this for one batch and see how it turns out. Start with your wort at 62-63 when you pitch the yeast and control it at that temperature for 4 days, then take it out of the chamber and let it warm to your normal room temperature for the remainder of the fermentation period which I consider to be 2 1/2 to 4 weeks. You only need to control the temperature during the initial part of the ferment because that is where the off flavors develop. Once the sugars are mostly gone, the yeast like it a little warmer to get the last bit of sugars and the byproducts of the fast ferment digested.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

That sounds like a fine temperature profile to me, but RM-MN has a good suggestion.

I would lean toward mash temperature, pitch rate, or yeast health as the issue.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Quick Reply