Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation Temp for Pilsner? (First Brew)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #21
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
You still might want to pitch a pack of dry lager yeast to make sure they yeast are up for the task. But that window is closing fast.
To be honest, I think it's too late. If fermentation has (I'm assuming) started then they are past the reproductive phase and pitching more yeast would be pointless.

I believe any damage that is going to be done already has been done. Yeast reproduce until they are at an optimal concentration for the environment and if they have to work harder (i.e. underpitching) they throw off more off-flavors. And it will probably be worse seeing as they're doing it in 70*F conditions.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #22
mtschap
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
To be honest, I think it's too late. If fermentation has (I'm assuming) started then they are past the reproductive phase and pitching more yeast would be pointless.

I believe any damage that is going to be done already has been done. Yeast reproduce until they are at an optimal concentration for the environment and if they have to work harder (i.e. underpitching) they throw off more off-flavors. And it will probably be worse seeing as they're doing it in 70*F conditions.
It was only at 70* for about 24 hrs after pitching. It's been sitting at about 52* for a week now. So I'm just gonna let it do it's thing from here and see how it turns out.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #23
mtschap
Recipes 

Alright, so I'm three weeks in and this is what it looks like now. Seems to be doing it's thing slowly but surely. I know it's just one picture but does everything look ok to you guys? I was planning to transfer to a carboy after 4 weeks for lagering. Is this what I should be doing? Any other tips/suggestions?

I finally got a second fridge so no more frozen water bottles! Just need to get the fridge at the right temp.

img_20120624_161102.jpg  

Old 06-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #24
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I looks fine but you'll never know how it's really doing unless you take a hydrometer reading. Once it's hit close-to FG you should taste it. It's it tastes butterscotchy or has a slick feel on your tongue then bring it to 60-65°F for a day or two.

Then, once you hit FG, start your lagering and proceed as normal.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Quick Reply