Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > fermentation temp control after initial fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
scottab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default fermentation temp control after initial fermentation

I'm planning on brewing my kölsch brewers best kit today or tomorrow and i'm wondering about temp control.
Because of the very high temps in nj last week the ambient temp in my basement which is normally between 60-70 degrees peaked around 80.
Concerned about too high temps i held of brewing. Now the temp is holding steady around 72.

My question is this. I plan to use a swamp cooler to keep my brew in the 60-70 range and want to know if it's necessary to maintain the temp throughout the fermentation until bottling, or if once the initial fermentation takes place and slows if i can be less concerned about keeping the temps lowered. I am using wpl029 for this brew and making a 5gal batch. I am also adding 1 extra lb of pilsen dme

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Once the krausen falls temps are still important but not as critical for flavor issues.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply