New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation Temp - Ambient or Wort Temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Default Fermentation Temp - Ambient or Wort Temp?

I've seen a few discussions where it was difficult to tell if the fermentation temperature being referred to is the temperature of the wort, or the ambient temperature of the surrounding air. Generally, I refer to the wort temp, and I believe the fermentation temperatures recommended for different strains of yeast does as well, but I'm wondering what others practice.

One example is where a person says they're fermenting an ale at 60*. While it's possible, this generally seems lower than you would want most ales to ferment at. If they are referring to the ambient temp, then the wort would be around 65*, which seems more reasonable. I'd be worried if someone says they're fermenting at 72* ambient temperature, not realizing the wort will be at least a few degrees hotter, which could result in more ester production.

I guess it also depends on where the temperature probe is placed. I tend to not trust the sticker thermometers as much, so I stick the probe to the side of the carboy, insulating it from the surrounding air temps. I also keep a thermometer that measures the ambient temp, just to make sure.

I think I'm right in measuring the wort temp, but I haven't found anything specific. So if I'm wrong, please correct me.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Kaz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

IMO Fermentation temps should always be measured as the temperature inside the fermentation vessel. That is what the yeast mfg. refer to and that is what the recipes in books/magazines refer to. Whether you are getting that temperature using a probe in a thermowell, a stick on thermometer or a probe taped and insulated to the outside of the vessel is up to you. If you are referring to the ambient air temp, then you really have no idea what your fermentation temperature is.

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply