Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation temp.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
awshucks5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Fermentation temp.

I have just started fermenting a Belgian Golden Strong Ale. I am controlling the temp at 72 deg. for primary. Does temp. control matter after fermentation is complete?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 22

with that sort of beer you may want to ramp the temp up towards the end of fermentation, to force the final bit of yeast activity to help get the dry finish characteristic of that beer (assuming this is like a tripel style of beer? the weird names bjcp gives to these throw me a bit!). in addition these beers are sometimes lagered for a period (a few weeks to a few months) to help them clear up, but i know many people skip this step with great results. so short answer- no. once it's done the initial stages of fermentation the yeast aren't going to make any more overly funky compounds like esters or fusel alcohols. long answer- yes.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
Demus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by awshucks5
I have just started fermenting a Belgian Golden Strong Ale. I am controlling the temp at 72 deg. for primary. Does temp. control matter after fermentation is complete?
Temp control always matters but depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you want a little extra Belgian "funk" let it drift up toward 80 after it starts to slow down. This will also help maximize attenuation. Once it's totally done fermenting, cooling it off will help it clear to that golden the style calls for, but if you don't mind it a little cloudy you could certainly skip it. Personally, I'd drop it to 55 over a few days and let it sit for two weeks. Man, you're making me want to brew one up!!!

Quick Reply