New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation Stopped?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
nsean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermentation Stopped?

Hello;

I made a pale ale with Pale Extract, brown sugar, Carastan, N. Brewer, and Willamette, my OG was 1.064. I used 2 packs of Coopers Ale yeast to ferment. Everything went great for the first day, I was getting very vigorously bubbling, in fact through my tubing it was almost a constant stream of CO2. However today, after 30-36hrs the bubbling has completely ceased.

I haven't done anything to it since it has started, but I expected that it would have a longer primary fermentation than this, especially since the original OG was fairly high. However I think I did add too much yeast.

I am thinking I should probably just wait it out, and everything will be fine, as I don't want to open it up to check the gravity, and risk infection.

Sorry this is my first brew, so I am a little nervous, and just looking for some advice.

Thanks;
Sean

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
bdupree
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've had quite a few batches do that. Sounds normal. Just wait about 3 weeks then bottle. You can check the gravity without worrying too much though. Just sanatize the hydrometer.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
nsean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I should probably wait for a couple days and then check the gravity?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsean View Post
So I should probably wait for a couple days and then check the gravity?
Yes, wait a few days and then check the gravity. What was the original gravity of the wort? The golden rule when you're new to brewing is never use your airlock as a brewing instrument. Airlocks are a cheap piece of plastic and it's only job is to let CO2 out. Chances are your beer is fine!

Old 09-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
nsean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My OG was 1.064. I did take a peek through the bung hole, and the krausen has disappeared already.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:03 AM   #6
nsean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I became too impatient/nervous, and checked my gravity today, it was 1.012, which is a lot lower than I was expecting, but fine. It tasted pretty good, for warm, flat beer, just a little stronger than I was expecting, but it should turn out nice. I will finally be able to leave it alone for awhile now.

For future reference, how much Coopers dry Ale does everyone use, because I think 30g was too much.

New rule for me though, don't make beer when you are out of beer.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:07 AM   #7
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Usually an 11 gram packet of dry yeast is sufficient for 5 gallons of average gravity beer. You can do more or less and be ok. 30 grams of yeast seems to be way too much. You should be fine however after it ages.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:17 AM   #8
nsean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah next time I will just use 1 pack. I was using John Palmer's advice of using 2 packs.

Quick Reply