Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation stopped at 1.044

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #11
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

It sounds like you've tried several things. I tried raising the temperature and stirring and that didn't help me. I also tried adding about 3oz of dextrose, some yeast nutrient and stirring and couldn't get anything to happen, but you should still have a fair amount of sugar in that wort.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 12:42 AM   #12
boyleia1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
It sounds like you've tried several things. I tried raising the temperature and stirring and that didn't help me. I also tried adding about 3oz of dextrose, some yeast nutrient and stirring and couldn't get anything to happen, but you should still have a fair amount of sugar in that wort.
did you ever figgure it out? or were you left with a scraped beer?

Anyone else have any experience with this sort of situation?

Old 03-30-2011, 01:42 AM   #13
jtakacs
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i've had one "stuck" fermentation in my life and that was/is on a lambic and i considered stuck at 66% attenuation and pitched brett (which i was doing anyway)... never had a stuck ferm like this... something is amiss... using occam's razor, i'd assume something was wrong with the yeast. seems most likely. curious about updates.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:00 AM   #14
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Was this extract, or did you mash the grain? If extract, it seems like you have a couple batches of dead/mediocre yeast.

I had a huge stout crap out in the 1.04's (from 1.100ish) - I mashed ten degrees higher than I wanted, and the grist had lots of specialty malts. The beer was good for a sip or two, but so cloyingly sweet that I wound up cutting it with a can of BMC for each pint just to get through the keg.

My advice, assuming you didn't make the same mistake I did, would be to get a pack of US-05, pour it in, and keep your temp at 65*F.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 03-30-2011, 04:36 AM   #15
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyleia1 View Post
did you ever figgure it out? or were you left with a scraped beer?

Anyone else have any experience with this sort of situation?
Well, the next step for me would have been to hit it with a starter at high krausen, but, funny you should ask, this beer is actually still in my fermentation fridge and taking up valuable space. So, I decided to see what amylase enzyme would do.

There's so much dispute/misunderstanding of amylase versus Beano that I decided to give it a try and see for myself what would happen. I stirred in about half a teaspoon of the stuff and checked it a couple of days later and it was down another five or six points. I'm going to check it again tomorrow and see where it stands. If it's down another five points or so and it stays there, I'm going to call it good. If not, well we'll go from there, but I'm brewing on Saturday and will need that space one way or another.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 03-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #16
boyleia1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pernox View Post
Was this extract, or did you mash the grain? If extract, it seems like you have a couple batches of dead/mediocre yeast.
it was all grain 4.5 lb of which were specialty malts.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #17
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
What was the recipe and mash temp? Is your thermometer calibrated properly?

There might be trouble.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 03-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #18
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
If your OG was 1.068, then that sounds like about 35-40% of the grist was specialty malt which is extremely high. That sounds like the source of your problem...your not going to get much in the way of fermentables with most specialty malts. If you mashed high (> 156F), than that will just compound your problem.

Amalyse enzyme is your only hope at this point...more yeast is just wasting yeast. Even then you might not get down to a low FG. I would adjust the recipe and re-brew.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #19
jfowler1
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
You really need to give the exact malt bill if you are still looking for an answer as to why the FG was so high. Some people consider Munich, Vienna, Rye, Wheat, etc., to be specialty - that is incorrect. IIRC, even character malts like Victory and Biscuit have a descent level of fermentability. On the other hand, if you were using 4.5 pounds of crystal and roasted malts.....you've got a serious recipe problem.

Do yourself a favor and post the entire malt bill; it is your only real hope of getting a diagnosis. If you mashed at 165F, you knew you were in some trouble, but I have seen a lot of people set themselves up for failure by putting together a malt bill with practically zero diastatic power, and then wondered why the wort didn't ferment.

Please volunteer the recipe, and it may save you from a future head ache.

Joe

Old 03-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #20
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfowler1 View Post
Do yourself a favor and post the entire malt bill; it is your only real hope of getting a diagnosis. If you mashed at 165F, you knew you were in some trouble, but I have seen a lot of people set themselves up for failure by putting together a malt bill with practically zero diastatic power, and then wondered why the wort didn't ferment.
Yep, might be good to see the malt bill on this one.

Quick Reply