Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation Stalled - Looking for suggestions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermentation Stalled - Looking for suggestions...

The short version, since I need to get to bed, is that I have a stout that's been in the primary for almost 4 weeks and I wanted to get it off the yeast cake to let it age. Nothing high gravity, OG was 1.055ish. After transfering it tonight I took a gravity reading and found that it had stalled at some point, gravity read 1.020. It had a very active fermentation at almost too-warm temps, 72F or so, so I was quite surprised to see that it had stalled.

Anyway, what's done is done so I'm trying to think of a way to salvage it. Couple things came to mind but I'm not sure if they'd work or if they'd only make matters worse.

1. Pitching more yeast. I'd have to aerate to get that yeast to do much of anything and would the added oxygen just make things worse?

2. Brew the same recipe again, maybe I just had a couple bad packets of Nottingham, and mix the two before pitching. Again, not sure what the outcome would be and I don't know that I feel like risking having to throw away 20G of beer.

I'm open to any other suggestions as well, I'd really like to keep from throwing away 10G of beer.

Primary: EMPTY!
Bottled:
Kegged: Turkeyfoot English Mild

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2010, 03:11 AM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

1.020 for a stout isn't really outrageously high. Some stouts have a very heavy body.

What was your recipe? What FG were you expecting? It might be done and not stalled.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:27 AM   #3
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

like walker says, 1.020 is ok for some stouts. i'm going to keg an oatmeal stout this weekend that is 1.018; beersmith said 1.020 for it. don't alter it; stouts are heavy by nature

Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Beersmith predicted a FG of 1.013. I've done several stouts over the years, recipes similar to what I did with this one, and none of them have ever finished this heavy. I guess I'll let it age out for a time and then keg it and see what comes out.

Primary: EMPTY!
Bottled:
Kegged: Turkeyfoot English Mild

Old 07-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Beersmith just estimates the FG at 70% attenuation if I'm not mistaken. Don't take that FG as gospel.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply