Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation in secondary fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
TimothyTheGreat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Fermentation in secondary fermenter

I am brewing an Irish Red and kept it in the primary for 10 days before I transferred it to the carboy. I was getting ready to bottle and noticed that it had begun to vigorously ferment in the carboy. Anybody know anything about this?

image-1756885564.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

did you take 2 consequetive gravity readings over a three day period to ascertain if fermentation was complete before racking. Clearing if it started up again in secondary, you racked too soon. OR you had a stuck fermenation. But since you said you racked after only 10 days, and sometimes yeast can take 3 days to even start fermentation sometimes, I'm betting it wasn't done yet when you racked.

Just leave it be.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
tasq
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
did you take 2 consequetive gravity readings over a three day period to ascertain if fermentation was complete before racking. Clearing if it started up again in secondary, you racked too soon. OR you had a stuck fermenation. But since you said you racked after only 10 days, and sometimes yeast can take 3 days to even start fermentation sometimes, I'm betting it wasn't done yet when you racked.

Just leave it be.....
Revvy has it.

Don't brew by timeline. Big mistake. Brew with gravity.

FWIW many of us don't secondary at all.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
yournotpeter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasq View Post

FWIW many of us don't secondary at all.
Agreed....the best results I have aways had is 2-3 works in the fermenter, then keg/bottle. No secondary. 99.9% of the time it's done fermenting (some lagers being the exception). Just my two cents.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #5
frtrey
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I've read a number of times to forgo the secondary. When does that rule not apply? If you're doing a tripel or quad - would I want to just leave it in the primary for a month, and then bottle?

Old 01-19-2013, 02:03 AM   #6
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It's not a rule, it is a preference. Fermentation conditions have an appreciable impact on the final product. You can successfully do primary only and make great beer. Or you can use a secondary and make great beer. What makes a great beer? That is up to your tastes! Either method is perfectly acceptable. That being said, there is a difference in the final taste. Secondaried beers tend to be a bit cleaner and crisper, while primary only beers tend to be a little fuller. Tend. The higher the ABV and the stronger the flavor of the ingredients, the less noticeable the difference.

It really is something you best decide for yourself - with as much experimentation as possible of course to figure out what you like. As that is a big point of homebrewing - to brew a beer that is exactly to YOUR tastes

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 01-19-2013, 02:30 AM   #7
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 501 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Whether you choose to use a secondary vessel or not the bottom line is the beer should not be moved anywhere until final gravity has been achieved and verified to be stable with no changes.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
Revvy Likes This 
Old 01-19-2013, 04:34 AM   #8
dhertel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It definitely wasn't done fermenting in the primary before you transferred it in the secondary.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Curious what yeast strain you used... something highly flocculant? English?

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 01-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
BrewingBoomer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just had this happen! I used muntons for a goose island nut brown clone I was brewing it was a very vigorous fermentation at first then almost non existent, I checked the gravity at day five and it looked like it was about done, I waited a couple extra days and transferred to secondary while I was sanitizing my keg, at this point it was like day 11 of the fermentation so I thought there was no way it couldn't be done.. Boy was I wrong, checked the fermenter this morning and it was going crazy!!! Weird.. Hope it isn't infected...

Quick Reply