Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > fermentation room temps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
sorefingers23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default fermentation room temps

i ferment my beer in a cold room in my house, and now that its strating to get pretty cold here, the temps are starting to drop in the cold room. Right now my cold room seems to be holding steady at 61, and the sticky thermometer on my carboy is saying 57, is this too cold to be fermenting ales? i know during the perak of fermentation the temperature of the wort can rise a few degress. should i try to keep my cold room a bit warmer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
OldStyler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could use yeasts that like being at lower temps - Kolsch yeast comes to mind as you're in a similar situation to me and that's what I'm looking to use. I imagine you're just setting your fermenters on the floor - maybe get them off of the floor to help get the temp a little higher. Couple of thoughts...

Old 12-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
sorefingers23
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldStyler View Post
You could use yeasts that like being at lower temps - Kolsch yeast comes to mind as you're in a similar situation to me and that's what I'm looking to use. I imagine you're just setting your fermenters on the floor - maybe get them off of the floor to help get the temp a little higher. Couple of thoughts...
yah im putting them on the cement floor, i was thinking maybe i could put them on a piece of styrofoam insulation... maybe that would help....

Old 12-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Yes the concrete will sink away a lot of heat. Styrofoam would work. So would a table, chair, or some towels.

Primary #1: Hidden Lake Nut Brown #2: Apple Cider
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale, Orange Pale Ale IV
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: 2H IPA III

Old 12-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Most ale strains will ferment down to 58-60^. I ferment many of my ales at 60^. I'd get the fermenter off the basement floor and maybe wrap it with a blanket to avoid heat loss, but if ambient temp is 57^, I think it's a safe bet active fermentation will raise the fermenter temp into the low 60s.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
sorefingers23
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

if the heat from the active fermentation causes the temp to rise 65-66 area, isnt it good for the beer to be stored at a lower temp after the active fermentation? for example if the room is at 61, and the temp of the wort is at 57, and the fermentation causes it to rise to 65, and then settles back at 57-59.

also i made a batch of biermunchers bass clone, using irish ale yeat and the fermentation took off in about 5 hours and 5 days later its pretty much all cleared up, everything seems to have went pretty well.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
Bk2X
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Ok so along these lines.

I have a room I keep my conical in upstairs. Outside temp has ranged from 40-60 for the last month but my upstairs is staying constant at 70 degrees even with my thermostat set to 60F. I am assuming my conical has inside temp of ~75F. This temp is outside of my yeast range. I really don't want to battle this all winter so is there some sort of temp controlled fridge that people use for fermenting?

Old 12-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Gunrunner
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Most ale are good at 60. I would get it off the floor and see what happens. If that does not work get the room a bit hotter or move to another room.

The Gunrunner
If you are going to be stupid then you better be tough.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

+1 to getting it off the floor, but it seems you're in just about the perfect range. Most ale yeasts will work very cleanly at those temps. I think a lot of west coast brewers (myself included) are very jealous of you right now.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
PVH
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorefingers23 View Post
if the heat from the active fermentation causes the temp to rise 65-66 area, isnt it good for the beer to be stored at a lower temp after the active fermentation? for example if the room is at 61, and the temp of the wort is at 57, and the fermentation causes it to rise to 65, and then settles back at 57-59.
No, it's not better to cool the beer after high krauesen. You will get a more complete, cleaner, and quicker fermentation by maintaining your target temp throughout, although some say it's best to raise the temp a few degrees at the end. Not to say things won't go fine letting temps take their natural course. It's just not ideal.

Quick Reply