Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
joe10pa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation question

I brewed an ipa on monday and it bubbled for a day or so and stopped. I then realized that my basement (which had been an ideal temp for the last six months) was several degrees over the temp range for ales. I now have the temp within ale range with the assist from a swamp cooler. It didn't start bubbling or form krausen. Should I drop more yeast or something else?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 500 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe10pa
I brewed an ipa on monday and it bubbled for a day or so and stopped. I then realized that my basement (which had been an ideal temp for the last six months) was several degrees over the temp range for ales. I now have the temp within ale range with the assist from a swamp cooler. It didn't start bubbling or form krausen. Should I drop more yeast or something else?
A gravity reading would be a great start to seeing if the beer is done or not. It's possible you shocked the yeast with the temp drop and it quit and needs to adjust. It's also possible it was done before you changed the temp but you won't know anything until you take a reading.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
joe10pa
Recipes 

I doubt it is done. It barely bubbled at all and there was never any krausen.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
BanginBanjo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It probably isn't done yet, but you should still take a gravity reading to be sure. If it dropped out of suspension from shock due to the temperature change, you could try shaking it up a bit and see if that works. If you still don't see any activity in the next 36-48hours, it could have died due to the higher temperatures, depending on how high the temperature was and the strain used. You could then try pitching more after the temperature is correct. My bet would be that it went into shock and fell out of suspension when you cooled it down.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #5
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 575

I doubt that you killed your yeast. If you started too warm and then quickly dropped the temp to where it should have been to begin with, you might have shocked it a bit and caused it to go dormant early.

What sort of temps are we talking about? What strain of yeast?

Take a gravity reading. That's the only way to know for sure where things stand.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
joe10pa
Recipes 

Ill take a reading today. I believe it is safale 05 ale yeast. It was low 70's when I noticed it wasn't doing anything. I then dropped the temps into the 60's hoping it would start again but it has not. I have a fermometer on my carboy which I'm using for temp ranges for specific styles. Ill post my reading shortly.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 500 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe10pa
Ill take a reading today. I believe it is safale 05 ale yeast. It was low 70's when I noticed it wasn't doing anything. I then dropped the temps into the 60's hoping it would start again but it has not. I have a fermometer on my carboy which I'm using for temp ranges for specific styles. Ill post my reading shortly.
Honestly, if it was in the low 70's that's kind a warm for 05 and it very well could be done, yeast like warmth and will work pretty quick at high temps

If that's the case you will definitely want to let this sit a few weeks and let the yeast clean up some potential off flavors.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 07-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
joe10pa
Recipes 

Ok I took a reading. On Monday (brew day) it was 1.040. Today it is 1.010. No activity though since Tuesday night.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 655 Times on 555 Posts
Likes Given: 170

Leave it until Monday, then take another reading. If it is 1.010 the fermentation is done. Then you can decide if you want to bottle it of if you want to let the yeast clean the beer some more. Many, including myself, feel the yeast will do a little more work cleaning up off flavors created during fermentation and allow the beer to become more clear. Others think that once FG is reached nothing more is gained.

Your warm end temperature was ideal for the yeast activity and probably occurred overnight the first night.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
joe10pa
Recipes 

Ok great. Ill check it Monday and if it remains the same ill probably leave it for another week it two then bottle. Is that enough time to clean up the off flavors or should I leave it longer? I'm in no rush I was planning on leaving it for 6 weeks before bottling but if there is no point ill get started on a second batch.

Quick Reply