Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
jfr1111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have thought about the "oily film" and I think boo boo might be on to something. I noticed a kind of oily substance amidst the foam during the boil and I just scooped it out (so it can't be Brett, Brett is hardy stuff but it won't survive a 60 minute boil). Did not saw it again aftwerwards, even after the wort was cooled down. I was using a brand new turkey fryer and even after vigorous washing and cleaning, maybe some oily residue from manufacturing made it into the beer. I did not use any kind of soap for cleaning, but I will be more careful next time and will give the thing a good oxiclean soak or two (instead of washing and rinsing minutes before D-day) just to be sure.

The wort sample tasted fine (as much as hot trubby wort can taste fine) so I'm not overly worried. Maybe it will mess with head retention, we'll see in due time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 12:28 AM   #12
alhiem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for your replies. My beer seems to be in fact well on its way to being bottled next Saturday. I sterilized a Pyrex measuring cup and dipped it for a sample. I took a reading and is near completion, if not there, 1.014 (OG 1.054) I did notice, not an oily film, but a type of scum floating on the beer. My sample had some and i too some between my fingers. I has the consistency of grass. I can only assume that is the Irish moss. Yet i had the impression that it always went down to the bottom of the pile. I don't know, this is the first time ive seen this on my young brewing life and this is the 3rd beer that I've added that stuff to. In any case, the beer smelled ok and tasted good. Nice raw alcoholic flavor to it. The hydro calculations expect it to get around 6%, so i got what i wanted. Thanks.

Saludos,

Albert

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply