Fermentation periods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes7779

Reaction score
Just wondering how long everyone does their primary and secondary fermentations for? I know that it typically depends on the beer (lager vs. ale) but what is the general rule? I have thus far been going by my recipe but if I ever try to make my own recipe I wouldn't know. Thanks!

So many factors involved.....beer type, yeast type, OG, temp, etc.

But in general for an average 1.050 ale I go from brew to keg in about 2.5 to 3 weeks. I have been back and forth on whether I need to rack to secondary or not. There is lots of good discussion on the topic here on HBT. Sometimes I use a secondary, most times I don't. If I do, I would brew, into primary for about 7 days, then rack to secodary, let sit for 10 - 14 days, then into the keg. Keg condition for a couple weeks (depending on variety) and serve.

For lager it's a much longer process....primary for 2-3 weeks, into the keg to lager, carb, then drink as ready.

You will get to know your yeast. Some varieties blow through fermentation, some take a little longer. Some clean up the beer really fast, others like an extra week in the fermentor to clean up.

Hope that helps a little.

Alan

Thanks! So it's kind of a trial and error process.......or is there some reference or formula I could read?

I know it's a bit frustrating at the start b/c you would like someone to tell you exactly what to do. Take heart, with time you will develop the "feel" for your process that all experienced brewers have.

If what you are seeking is a set of beginner instructions, here it is: Leave your beer in your primary for three weeks. Then transfer it to your bottling bucket and bottle it. Leave it at 70 degrees for three weeks. Then start to drink it. You will achieve success.

What do I do? Ferment at or near the bottom of the temperature range, for both lagers and ales. For lagers my beer might be in the primary for anywhere between five days to two weeks before a diacetyl rest. I usually rack to a secondary for lagering after that and wash my yeast for re-use. For ales I would not hesitate to leave it in the primary for a month (or even more) before bottling or kegging, unless I want to re-use the yeast. Even then I might simply "steal" some yeast cake for the new batch and leave most of it in the primary.

It's pretty much trial and error, at least until you begin understanding how the yeast you are using behaves and its relationship to the recipe.

The usual answer to your question is to let hydrometer readings guide you. You'll know it's done when you get the same gravity readings a 2-3 days in a row.

Personally, I just give it at least 10 days, usually 14, to do what it needs to do. Then I up the temp for a few days, followed by a cold crash over several days. Ultimately, my process takes about 26-28 days and that is not counting any longer-term lagering the beer may require.

Many homebrewers don't see a need for that length of time in the fermenter (prior to lagering, if any) and they could very well be right. But since I'm not in a rush to get the beer out, I just give it enough time.

This is assuming I have good confidence the fermentation is proceeding normally. That's trial and error, and experience, too.

For the average ale, I'll usually go 3-5 weeks in primary, cold crash for a dya or 3 then bottle or (usually) keg.

Some beers I'll go 2 weeks in primary, 2-3 weeks in secondary and then cold crash, but usually no secondary.

Some very different beers require longer periods, either primary, or secondary, depending.

I've also found that even in lighter styles, a few weeks in the keg/bottle can do wonders for the beer, even after 5-6 weeks in the fermenter.

If what you are seeking is a set of beginner instructions, here it is: Leave your beer in your primary for three weeks. Then transfer it to your bottling bucket and bottle it. Leave it at 70 degrees for three weeks. Then start to drink it. You will achieve success.

This is good advice, however, I would suggest tasting it after one week in bottle. Then try it at two weeks, then 3 and so forth. You will taste how the beer changes and get a feel for how long it needs.

Fermenting 3 weeks is, in my mind, the best starting point. Some beers will be done much before that, but the extra time will not hurt it in most cases. I typically ferment for 2-3 weeks, then throw it in the keg and it sits for another week before I start drinking it.

You'll get your own method that you think works. Maybe you like fermenting longer, maybe shorter. Taste it as it goes so that you can note the changes.

My baseline is 3 weeks in primary and 1 in secondary, but as said, each beer is different so I adjust from there as needed.

Thanks for the info. btw.....what is "cold crash"? sorry for my ignorance. The main reason I started this thread was to get an idea of what you pros are doing......plus I don't want to wait longer than I need to try the fruit of my labor!

I do three weeks. No primary. I get a bad feeling about fermenting in plastic so I put my beer straight into the glass carboy and keep it there.

I do 3 weeks primary, cold crash 2-3 days and then rack to keg. Set at serving pressure and let sit 2. Weeks at serving temp. It's good beer, but after another 2 weeks it's great beer and a lot clearer. Patience is the key.

This is good advice, however, I would suggest tasting it after one week in bottle. Then try it at two weeks, then 3 and so forth. You will taste how the beer changes and get a feel for how long it needs.

To me opening bottles you know aren't ready seems like a waste. But to each their own. Many people regard three weeks as a bare minimum; some posters here have tales of brews taking months to carb up properly.

if you're going to use a secondary, don't transfer until after fermentation is complete or you're defeating the purpose. other than that it's all about preference. all of the ways described here are correct, you just have to try a couple of different things to see what you like.

dukes7779 said:
Thanks for the info. btw.....what is "cold crash"?

Cold crashing (conditioning) is dropping the temperature of the beer to well below fermentation temperature, after fermentation is done. There are a few reasons for this, one of the main being clarification through inducing the yeast to drop.

Basically, the fermentation process can be divided into inoculation (pitching), respiration/reproduction, fermentation, clean up, and conditioning, all usually done in a fermenter and before bottling. I personally do it all in the primary, while others prefer to rack to a secondary at some point during the process, depending on what they want to achieve.

Crashing may be a bit of a misnomer, since the drop in temperature can be done over several days instead of rapidly. I guess in that case it would be sliding. ;) But you can drop rapidly too.

Like others here, I believe patience yields the best results.

Back