Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation Johnsons A419 Heating Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011, 04:00 AM   #1
deadguyry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermentation Johnsons A419 Heating Question

So I purchased a Johnsons a419ABG-3C Im trying to use it to heat my freezer up to 82 degrees to ferment my belgian strong ale. I knowhow to set it to heat with the jumpers my question is does it take along time to heat up? Im new to this machine and am Just wondering my freezer shows that is on its just stuck at 72 degrees and is not climbing up. How long does it normally take for these things to heat up any help on the subject will be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2011, 04:10 AM   #2
jafo28
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 100

What are you using for a heat source? I have a ceramic reptile bulb in a desk lamp, and in the dead of winter it has no problem heating my chest freezer.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:13 AM   #3
deadguyry
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was not aware i needed a heat source i thought the point was that it would over ride the freezer and cause it to start heating up.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:19 AM   #4
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguyry View Post
I was not aware i needed a heat source i thought the point was that it would over ride the freezer and cause it to start heating up.
a freezer does not produce heat (other than as a byproduct of cooling). instead the controller will turn off the freezer - and if the outside ambient temp is below where you want your fermentation temp to be you are screwed.

A johnson controller does not automagically turn a device meant to keep things frozen into a device capable of heating.

there are two options on a single digital controller one for heat and one for cold - depending on which one you chose.

a dual stage can do both but must still be plugged into something capable of heating and a separate device capable of cooling.

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

Old 10-29-2011, 04:19 AM   #5
Wrecked
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nah, you're gonna need a heat source to plug into the output cord on the temp controller. A light bulb, heating pad, Brew Belt, ect.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Old 10-29-2011, 04:25 AM   #6
deadguyry
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

God that makes sense, so what is the best heat source to put in a freezer chest to keep it at a warmer temp, thanks guys for the quick responses.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:28 AM   #7
jafo28
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Freezers only have the ability to cool. The controller turns on the compressor until you've reached your setpoint, which would have to be lower than the ambient temp. For heating the controller needs to turn on a heat source, such as a desk lamp, heating pad, or even a space heater. It will run this until the desired temp has been reached. So if it's 30º outside, like it gets in my garage in the winter you can maintain warmer temps in the chest freezer. In the summer when it's 95º outside you switch your jumpers, connect the freezer to the controller and it will operate the freezer to cool to your set temp. Hope I didn't just confuse the crap out of you.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:29 AM   #8
jafo28
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Damn I type slow, good job guys.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:38 AM   #9
deadguyry
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

jafo28, Wrecked, Runningweird You dudes saved me alot of unnecessary stress thanks guys i wish i could shake your hands

Quick Reply