Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation has stalled

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
beno1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 51
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermentation has stalled

Hi all,
Im new to this forum stuff so bare with me ... Ive just put on my third mexican cervaza brew ive used
1 can of mexican cervaza ( black rock)
1 kg of brewcraft beer enhancer no 15
500 g of japanese blonde malt
Saflager yeast

I mixed it all up as usuall haf a SG reading of 1050, pitched the yeast at about 21 degrees celcius put the lid on etc then dropped the temp to about 12-14 degrees celcius, airlock has been bubbling away nicely.
On day 8 i took a reading and was at 1020.
I decided to transfer to a secondary fermenter( to finish off fermentation and to hopfully make the been a bit clearer in appearance. Its been in the secondary for 3 days now still at about 14 degrees celcius.. But the reading is not going down any further than 1020 and need it well below 1010. Can any one help as what to do?? I think the yeast may have stalled or something??
Not sure weather to put my heat pad under fermenter to give it a bit of a raise in temp to maybe try and get that yeast active again or just leave it for another week or 2 and see if it comes down. Any advice would be much appriciated

__________________
beno1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
GapByear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beno1
Hi all,
Im new to this forum stuff so bare with me ... Ive just put on my third mexican cervaza brew ive used
1 can of mexican cervaza ( black rock)
1 kg of brewcraft beer enhancer no 15
500 g of japanese blonde malt
Saflager yeast

I mixed it all up as usuall haf a SG reading of 1050, pitched the yeast at about 21 degrees celcius put the lid on etc then dropped the temp to about 12-14 degrees celcius, airlock has been bubbling away nicely.
On day 8 i took a reading and was at 1020.
I decided to transfer to a secondary fermenter( to finish off fermentation and to hopfully make the been a bit clearer in appearance. Its been in the secondary for 3 days now still at about 14 degrees celcius.. But the reading is not going down any further than 1020 and need it well below 1010. Can any one help as what to do?? I think the yeast may have stalled or something??
Not sure weather to put my heat pad under fermenter to give it a bit of a raise in temp to maybe try and get that yeast active again or just leave it for another week or 2 and see if it comes down. Any advice would be much appriciated
Sounds like a temp issue, I'd give the heat pad a go and see what happens.. Perhaps to 18 degrees C

Worth a crack
__________________
GapByear is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
cfonnes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 918
Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

1.020 is a dreaded number for extract brewers. Seems like some extracts have too many unfermentables.

You can try a heating pad to increase the temperature a few degrees and gently agitate it to rouse the yeast.

__________________
cfonnes is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
wcrooker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Niles, Mi
Posts: 145
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beno1
Hi all,
Im new to this forum stuff so bare with me ... Ive just put on my third mexican cervaza brew ive used
1 can of mexican cervaza ( black rock)
1 kg of brewcraft beer enhancer no 15
500 g of japanese blonde malt
Saflager yeast

I mixed it all up as usuall haf a SG reading of 1050, pitched the yeast at about 21 degrees celcius put the lid on etc then dropped the temp to about 12-14 degrees celcius, airlock has been bubbling away nicely.
On day 8 i took a reading and was at 1020.
I decided to transfer to a secondary fermenter( to finish off fermentation and to hopfully make the been a bit clearer in appearance. Its been in the secondary for 3 days now still at about 14 degrees celcius.. But the reading is not going down any further than 1020 and need it well below 1010. Can any one help as what to do?? I think the yeast may have stalled or something??
Not sure weather to put my heat pad under fermenter to give it a bit of a raise in temp to maybe try and get that yeast active again or just leave it for another week or 2 and see if it comes down. Any advice would be much appriciated
I was wondering why you would transfer from primary to second to finish the fermentation? Taking it off the yeast will halt fermentation in my experience.
__________________
wcrooker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
GapByear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrooker

I was wondering why you would transfer from primary to second to finish the fermentation? Taking it off the yeast will halt fermentation in my experience.
If this is the case perhaps you could pitch more yeast?
__________________
GapByear is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
beno1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 51
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Thanks for the response people... I will raise the temp a bit to see if it will staft up again... The reason i changed to a secondary was to get the beer off the trub at the bottom and to hopfully make the beer clearer? Should i have just left in primary until finished then maybe transfer to secondary for a few days to clear out a bit then bottle straight from secondary?

__________________
beno1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
beno1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 51
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GapByear

If this is the case perhaps you could pitch more yeast?
Do you think its better to leave in primary until finished then bottle straght from primary? Or syfon to a bottling bucket then bottle? My aim is to make the beer a bit clearer
__________________
beno1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
wcrooker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Niles, Mi
Posts: 145
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beno1

Do you think its better to leave in primary until finished then bottle straght from primary? Or syfon to a bottling bucket then bottle? My aim is to make the beer a bit clearer
I usually leave it in primary for about three weeks or when the hydro sample stays the same for three days. Clarity I use either a cold crashing method or gelatin if the yeast is really stubborn. But I've bottled from both primary and a bottling bucket and found that its easier to mix the priming solution in the bucket.
__________________
wcrooker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools