Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation going nuts! Any tricks to calm it down?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 500 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelbowen View Post
My question is what's a good average delay for bubbles out of the airlock? Mine has slowed to approximately 1 bubble every 30 to 40 seconds. I'm not necessarily worrying I'm just curious what's normal after 2 days.
Likely your fermentaion is just about over and therefore airlock activity has slowed...in the future start cooler and your fermentation will not be as ferocious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewHobby1
The bubble rate will continue to slow through 3 to 4 days and then be minutes apart. I leave mine in primary for 3 weeks before cold crashing and then legging.
Quit looking at bubbles, while it will give you an idea about what's going on it in no way determines anything really, it's just a vent!

After 7-10 days take a gravity reading, then take another 2 days later. If they are the same then you have confirmed FG.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 08-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
BrewHobby1
Lifetime Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman

Quit looking at bubbles, while it will give you an idea about what's going on it in no way determines anything really, it's just a vent!

After 7-10 days take a gravity reading, then take another 2 days later. If they are the same then you have confirmed FG.
I agree that looking at bubbles does little for you, but it is an indicator of the speed of fermentation taking place. One half of the sugars will turn to CO2.

When I brew it is an indicator that reassures me that everything is going as it should.

I agree that taking a reading on gravity is the book answer on seeing when your beer is ready for kegging or transfer to secondary.

At the same time, I would say that if the OG of the beer was 1.55 or less then leave it on the yeast cake for three weeks and don't worry about it.
For the following reasons:
1. It won't affect the taste.
2. If it doesn't ferment all the way because of pitching rate or poor temp control, then there is nothing you can do about it.
3. Why risk contamination?

If you are going to put the beer on something in the secondary then I understand. Otherwise, less work is simple and good.

Wait three weeks and then keg or bottle it.

Quick Reply