Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation going nuts! Any tricks to calm it down?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
joelbowen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Fermentation going nuts! Any tricks to calm it down?

Last night I brewed my second batch of homebrew which is an Irish Red Ale, it was also my first experience with dry yeast as the sweet stout that is currently in primary was liquid yeast (And didn't go all that well)

This time everything went perfectly and sanitization was top priority! But when I checked on the batch this morning fermentation was going CRAZY! The krausen was making its way to the neck and before I knew it was filling the airlock and bubbling out like crazy! I wrapped a towel around the carboy to catch any potential blow off and put some toilette paper around the airlock to catch the bubbling.

Is there any trick to this stage? Can I calm it down any or are my only options to use a blowoff tube? Also this is a 6G not a 5G carboy so there was plenty of room to start.

Picture!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4913 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Well, the only thing you can really do is make sure it's not too warm, as the warmer it gets the faster it will go. And the faster it goes, the warmer it will get. So ensure the fermenter is under 72 degrees or so.

A 6 gallon carboy is pretty small for a 5 gallon batch, so you may want to use a blow-off tube if you don't have a bigger carboy or fermenter. You can rig that right away and that will help make sure you don't have a mess.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Stick a blow-off on that bad boy.

Also note that temps can easily get +10°F in the cargoy due to fermentation -- keeping temps under control will give you better beer and less violent fermentations.

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 08-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 575 Posts
Likes Given: 171

You can cool it some - low 60's will slow the fermentation. If you are in the 70's or more that is the major problem.

But, Always start with a blowoff tube! If the airlock plugs the pressure will increase until it blows out the stopper spewing krausen all over the place.

I for one always start with a blowoff tube, I do not worry about losing some to the blow off, and I have never had to wash my ceiling.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 68

It won't work in a carboy thats currently fermenting like that. But you can use Fermcap-S to reduce krausen (added right before or after yeast pitch). It works on most yeast strains I use except for the true top croppers (3787 for example).

Blowoff on this one would be a good idea. If that airlock gets clogged at all...at best you will blow the airlock and brew all over your ceiling. At worst the carboy will break/shatter/explode.

Primary #1: Empty #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3:Border Crossing Vienna
Kegged
: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Ice Shanty Bock

Old 08-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
It won't work in a carboy thats currently fermenting like that. But you can use Fermcap-S to reduce krausen (added right before or after yeast pitch). It works on most yeast strains I use except for the true top croppers (3787 for example).
If you are a stickler about FDA warnings, use FermCap AT. Fermcap S is silicone-based and the FDA has issued warnings that silicone should be filtered out before consumption.
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 08-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
joelbowen
Recipes 

Thanks guys! I just hooked up the blowoff tube, this is a far cry from the fermentation issue I had with the sweet stout. Though now I wonder if the stout will turn out alright.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelbowen View Post
Thanks guys! I just hooked up the blowoff tube, this is a far cry from the fermentation issue I had with the sweet stout. Though now I wonder if the stout will turn out alright.
Every yeast is different so there is no reason your stout won't turn out so don't fret. Glad to see you got a blow off hooked up, from the looks of the first picture Painting the ceiling was definitly in your future

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 08-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #9
joelbowen
Recipes 

Alright since the craziness began , things have calmed down quite a bit.

I put the irish red in my sink, connected a blow off tube to a bowl with water, and stuck a frozen water bottle in the water around the carboy. It now seems to be fermenting at about 68 degrees.

My question is what's a good average delay for bubbles out of the airlock? Mine has slowed to approximately 1 bubble every 30 to 40 seconds. I'm not necessarily worrying I'm just curious what's normal after 2 days.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #10
BrewHobby1
Lifetime Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The bubble rate will continue to slow through 3 to 4 days and then be minutes apart. I leave mine in primary for 3 weeks before cold crashing and then legging.

Quick Reply