Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation fast then slow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 01:55 AM   #11
bgough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Rip Beer. You say store bought filtered...but do you mean distilled? I'm not sure exactly what's in the burton salts b/c I haven't used them, but if your using distilled and brewing all-grain, you need the proper levels of calcium and magnesium for yeast health. 64-68 isn't too bad, but even a sudden 4 or 5 degree drop in temp can slow yeast activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwagger View Post
The temp fluctuates at night, but isnt colder than 60 or warmer than 70. Its pretty stable. During the summer months with the AC on, the temp didnt flux at all, and the same problems arise. But its always with liquid yeasts.
Schag- a 10 degree temp swing is pretty big. Going from 70 to 60 would definately put your yeast to sleep. Try wrapping your fermenter in blankets overnight if the temp swing is that severe. I would suspect that that is your problem.

I've made plenty of beers with liquid yeast and no starter, (even though its always better to do one) with no attenuation problems. but I always keep the temp steady. If I had 5-10 degree swings in my ferment temp, I would take care of that before you worry about building bigger starters. A 1 Liter starter with intermittent shaking should double your cell count I think.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 02:18 AM   #12
Shwagger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgough View Post

Schag- a 10 degree temp swing is pretty big. Going from 70 to 60 would definately put your yeast to sleep. Try wrapping your fermenter in blankets overnight if the temp swing is that severe. I would suspect that that is your problem.

During the summer when my AC is going, the temp doesnt change at all. Still does the same thing.

Shwagger Brewery
Gulfport, Fl

Old 01-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #13
Ripbeer
Recipes 

Filtered water, not distilled. The Burton-Trent salts add a bit of Ca, K, and Mg to the water. I also use a yeast nutrient as well. Not a sudden drop of temp, just guessing, but generally would say it is pretty steady near the 68 deg. range. I always wrap my bucket in a blanket as well. I always get very good start to fermentation within 12 hours and usually goes very vigorously...but lately these FG's are just high...targets are typically around 1.012 - 1.015 but generally have been ending near the 1.020 mark. I use BeerTools, and ProMash for recipes so have a pretty solid backup for the FG's so not issue with unfermentables. I will try the diffusion stone on the next one and see what I get with that pure O2 method.
Steve

Reason: Oops, meant FG's on the post, Not OG's...

Quick Reply