Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation Chambers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
doubletapbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Fermentation Chambers

Well, after my first brew I have learned quite a few things and decided to make a few changes before my next brew. The toughest thing I am trying to changing is how and where I place my fermenter. I have had trouble finding a place that is the right temperature in my house. I have came to the conclusion that I need to build something to better control the temp.

My question for you all is this. What do your fermentation chambers look like? Is it just a closet, a basement, a fridge, or a chest freezer. If you do not have a fridge or freezer, how do you maintain a stable temp? Post pictures if you would like so I can get some ideas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletapbrewing View Post
What do your fermentation chambers look like?
Mine is a simple used refrigerator I found on Craigslist for $50

I can fit 2 fermenters with ease and use it for grain storage when not being used for fermentations.

I bought a Johnson Digital temp control on Amazon for about $70 and this system works great!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
HawaiianBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got a 7.0 freezer with a A419 Johnson controller. Right now I have 2 buckets in there. The controller is set at 67 degrees + or - 1. When the freezer shuts down the temp will dip about 62 degrees before it starts going up. The freezer comes on once ever hour during the day and once every hours and a half at night. Now just to let you know I live in hawaii. Haven't have a problem with it at all. The good thing is after I'm done ill put the controller to hold at 36 degrees for drinking out of a keg wi a party tap. Works for me, will try to see if I can up load some pics.

Quick Reply