The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation/Blow-off Question(s)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
MrEggSandwich
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Fermentation/Blow-off Question(s)

So my Ruination clone (1.080 OG) that I brewed Saturday (pitched around 6pm), is in the carboy, and fermentation took off very quickly, and seems to be going well. Given the OG, I used a blow-off tube, which I have done many times before. I pitched a starter of 001, and decided to pitched another vial (so 2 vials 001, 1 with starter).

There is no bubble activity in the pitcher filled with star san. I'm not overly concerned (or concerned at all) given the fermentation seems to be going well. I guess I am just surprised that it isn't more of a "violent" fermentation. No bubbling, or krausen in blow off, as I have seen before.

My thinking is that since there is probably close to 2 gallons of head space + the large tubing (and length), that there just isn't enough pressure to bubble. Is this a fair assumption? My paranoid side worries that there is leak, or the clamp is pinching...(Doesn't seem to be the case)

Just thought it was interesting. (pics attached)

ruination-1.jpg   ruination-2.jpg   ruination-3.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
jakefitz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEggSandwich
So my Ruination clone (1.080 OG) that I brewed Saturday (pitched around 6pm), is in the carboy, and fermentation took off very quickly, and seems to be going well. Given the OG, I used a blow-off tube, which I have done many times before. I pitched a starter of 001, and decided to pitched another vial (so 2 vials 001, 1 with starter).

There is no bubble activity in the pitcher filled with star san. I'm not overly concerned (or concerned at all) given the fermentation seems to be going well. I guess I am just surprised that it isn't more of a "violent" fermentation. No bubbling, or krausen in blow off, as I have seen before.

My thinking is that since there is probably close to 2 gallons of head space + the large tubing (and length), that there just isn't enough pressure to bubble. Is this a fair assumption? My paranoid side worries that there is leak, or the clamp is pinching...(Doesn't seem to be the case)

Just thought it was interesting. (pics attached)
Those caps suck. I had the exact same issue the second time I used the cap you are using. If you bend the hose connection even slightly, they don't seal airtight and hence you don't get bubbling through your blowoff tube. Replace the cap with a 1.25" blowoff tube and you will be good.

Btw there is plenty of pressure to bubble out your hose. Your cap isn't tight.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Try lifting the hose up higher and then see if anything comes through.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #4
MrEggSandwich
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks...I switched the cap, and threw on regular airlock...bubbling away!

Quick Reply