Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Yellowpinky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation?

Hi,i've just bought my 1st kit and have noticed the 36 pints of nelsons revenge has stopped bubbling at 5 days which is spot on according to the box..The question is can i leave it till monday to keg as i'm busy till then?
Also how much sugar should i add to 36 pints and what type?
Cheers..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You really need to use a hydrometer and measure the SG to ensure fermentation is complete. Once you get steady gravity readings over about 3 days indicating it is complete I would not rush to package but rather give it another week.
There are many calculators around to assist you with priming rates for the style of beer you are brewing. Here is just one:
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Personally I use dextrose.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 57

More time will generaly make better beer. Go by the hyrometer reading as an indication of fermentation compeetion. At this point if they are the same 24 hours apart you should be good to keg or bottle. Here is some info on how many days you should wait between readings:

http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...ermenting.html

And how to calculate completion based on three readings:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...tion-time.html

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
Yellowpinky
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply,no rush then which is great.
I have a hydrometer so do i lift the lid on the fermenting bucket and use the syphon to put some liquid in the test tube..It seems a lot of people are concerned by contact with air..If this is ok then i need to syphon 3 lots over 3 days and test for roughly 1014 on the hydrometer yes?
Can i put test tube liquid back inthe bucket or throw away?

Old 12-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Take care if you have to open the fermentation vessel. I have a tap on mine so never lift the lid.
If you have a siphon or Wine Thief (turkey baster) then sanitize it and take a sample. Do not return sample to the fermentation vessel as that is inviting an infection of your beer.
Beer does not wear a watch and patience is a virtue. If you reckon it is finished then take a reading and leave it about 3 days before taking another reading to confirm it has indeed bottomed out.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
Yellowpinky
Recipes 

Ahh,the thickness of the syphon tube is thicker than the hole that i put the rubber gromit in and connected the plastic tube that bubbled...i'll have to buy a baster...weird that the tubing was thicker than the hole on top of bucket...how else did they expect me to take readings.....everything needed to make your 1st brew it said...mmmm.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I would suggest that you leave the beer alone for an additional week or two. Even though your yeast may be technically done converting most of the sugars to alcohol and Co2 they still have quit a bit of work to do cleaning up after themselves.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 57

To measure the gravity use a sanitized glass measuring cup to scoop out 1/3 of a cup of beer. After taking the measurement toss it out to lower the chance of infection.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
Yellowpinky
Recipes 

Hi i've lifted the lid and ladelled out 100ml which i've put into the tube supplied with the wherry starter kit.
I then popped the hydrometer in and from my reckoning its 1.016,the very bottom of the red section on the hydrometer...the top of the liquid in the fermentation vessel has little bits floating in it is this normal?.....my temperature according to my boys room temp guage is 19.7....the batch was started exactly 7 days ago...
If everything is ok what does anybody suggest i do next...i have 36 pints so how much sugar would i add and earlier in this post someone mentioned using dextrose instead any ideas greatly appreciated..
Also i'm not trying to bash this out for xmas tho i am quite excited to try it,shall i leave it in the vessel for longer even tho it no longer bubbles as also mentioned in an earlier post...cheers

Old 12-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
Yellowpinky
Recipes 

The beer looks like this..

forumrunner_20121210_142405.jpg

Quick Reply