Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > ferm temp control test update

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
milesvdustin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default ferm temp control test update

So its been one week so far in my first temperature controlled fermentation. The yeast took about 16 hours to show signs of life, and then by 24 hours I started to get a krausen. At one week, I still have a nice thick krausen on top, which is defintely unlike my room temp fermentations. Usually the krausen lasted three days then dropped. I have had issue with off flavors and sweetness I think was due too fermenting way too hot. I am hoping this beer tastes many times better than anything I have made before. If it is a good one, Swmbo is going to let me convert to electric and fill all my fermenters up with back to back brew sessions. I will update next week when I take the first gravity reading.

BTW, its s-05 yeast fermenting at 60-64 degrees in a water bath.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 652 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 385

You should notice a definite increase in quality when using temperature control. If you can swing it, a refrigerator or chest freezer with temperature controller will offer you much better temperature control especially in the summer months.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
milesvdustin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I have my keezer, its the 7 cuft Kenmore or GE, I dont remember which. It fits 4 ball locks on the floor, so I think I can jam two fermenters in there for controlled fermentation. I use 6 gallon better bottles. I actually could probably fit three. It would be hard to have something on tap and pipeline, but I could do three batches and then refill my kegs that way, just alternate. I don't think a dedicated freezer is in the cards right now.

Quick Reply