Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Ferm Chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
neko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Default Ferm Chamber

I know the answer is out there somewhere, but I seem to be missing it. Maybe it is the lack of sleep related to my 10-day old son.

I'm looking to set up an easy fermentation chamber, and step up from a swamp cooler. Can I just get a chest freezer or fridge with a temperature controller and call it a day? I would need to be able to cool in the summer and heat in the winter. I found all the threads with the DIY electrical diagrams and miscellaneous parts from the stores, but that's not what I want since I'd rather pay a little more and have more time with family.

Thanks.

Ring ding dong. Ring a ding-ding-ding dong

"We have invented the world's largest laser system" -Ahnold

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
makomachine
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

You nailed it. Temp controller and craigs list freezer was the the best thing I've done to improve my beers. I actually have migrated to another temp controller and fermwrap so I can have a lager and ale going the same time in the same freezer.

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 09-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by makomachine View Post
you nailed it. Temp controller and craigs list freezer was the the best thing i've done to improve my beers. I actually have migrated to another temp controller and fermwrap so i can have a lager and ale going the same time in the same freezer.
nice!

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Old 09-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
keg2881
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
You nailed it. Temp controller and craigs list freezer was the the best thing I've done to improve my beers. I actually have migrated to another temp controller and fermwrap so I can have a lager and ale going the same time in the same freezer.
Will the fermwrap keep up with the low lager temps?

When its warm it taste's real crappy, but cold beer will make me happy. When I throw up on the floor, I can go and drink some more. They say beer will make me dumb, it are go good with pizza.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg2881 View Post
Will the fermwrap keep up with the low lager temps?
I've run a lager at 49 (freezer controller) and had an ale at 68 (fermwrap) with no problem. I wrap my ale in an old wetsuit to help insulate - but you could use anything to help hold the temp. I'm confident I could drop the freezer to 35 for lager phase and be just fine.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
keg2881
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I've run a lager at 49 (freezer controller) and had an ale at 68 (fermwrap) with no problem. I wrap my ale in an old wetsuit to help insulate - but you could use anything to help hold the temp. I'm confident I could drop the freezer to 35 for lager phase and be just fine.
Dang, I didn't realize that those would work that well in freezer conditions. I picked up a 22cf chest freezer yesterday and am in the planning stages of getting it set up as a ferm chamber. Should I buy two of the ebay temp contrillers?

When its warm it taste's real crappy, but cold beer will make me happy. When I throw up on the floor, I can go and drink some more. They say beer will make me dumb, it are go good with pizza.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg2881 View Post
Dang, I didn't realize that those would work that well in freezer conditions. I picked up a 22cf chest freezer yesterday and am in the planning stages of getting it set up as a ferm chamber. Should I buy two of the ebay temp contrillers?
The key is insulating the carboy and fermwrap. Thermal mass of the fermentation helps it along if you insulate the carboy. I like the Ranco digital controllers and it's all I run. I've got no experience with the Johnson units other than I know they are slightly cheaper for the base digital but require some manual connection changes to go from cool to heat mode. I'm picking up a third unit this week and likely picking up the Johnson to control my kegerator - so will let you know my thoughts.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Temperature controll is the way to go.

BTW, congrats on the birth of your son. Your first?

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 09-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #9
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Freezer + temperature controller.

I have 2 of them. 1 for fermentation temperatures and 1 for serving temperatures.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
neko
Recipes 

Thanks for the responses. Didn't want to get things going and then realize I needed more equipment.

It's my second son, but everyone's different and you have to quickly remember things that 3 year-olds don't deal with.

Ring ding dong. Ring a ding-ding-ding dong

"We have invented the world's largest laser system" -Ahnold

Quick Reply