Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fake Maerzen with Real Lager Yeast Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
wintermute2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Fake Maerzen with Real Lager Yeast Help

Hi,

I'm trying to make my first pseudo-lager-type beer using this recipe as a base:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f59/dan-man-marzen-216507/

I pitched two packets of Saflager S-23 into my 5-gallons of wort at 65 deg. F, then placed it in the coldest part of my basement, which has maintained a temperature of 56 deg. The Fermentis website sayst that the ideal temp range for this yeast strain is 53.6 - 59 deg. Day 1.5-Day 4 experienced very fast (1 pop per second) airlock activity. Dawn of Day 5 showed slower airlock activity (1 pop every 10 seconds).

So, be gentle since I'm still a newb at this...

When should I rack out of primary (this was also my first time using a whirfloc tablet and there's a good amount of trub in there)?

I'm going to keep my secondary in the same location - how long in secondary and are there any special considerations should I take into account? I have no capacity to lager, with the exception of post-bottling storage in a refrigerator.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Fermentation is going to be warmer than ambient temperature, sometimes by a lot. You probably fermented this at ale temps. Taste it when the gravity's aroudn 1.020 and see if it needs to get even warmer for a diacetyl rest. If not , bottle it up, get it carbonated, and get it into lagering for a good long time. Next time, you'll probably want to do this with an ale yeast.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply