Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Extreme color change during fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #1
pelipen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

Default Extreme color change during fermentation

I'm looking for good information on color changes during fermentation. In general, I find most things lighten to some degree. There is some discussion on the web about protein coagulation and fall out taking out some color.

I brewed a cream ale using thai sweet red rice. The post-boil color was a lovely dark ruby red, which I was hoping would stay. Once it finished, it was a medium straw gold. It looked like all the color added from the rice was just gone. Precipitated out? nope. Yeast bed is normal color, trub is light, and the color should act more as a dye than a suspension.

I'm wondering if there are any plant dyes which essentially become yeast food. I can't find any research. Color contributed from malt, seems to stick around. Color from red rice, totally gone. A bit disappointed by the color change.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

I think I found out why. Apparently what is labeled as red rice, is actually better known as Black rice. The pigment in black rice comes from Anthocyanin (think red cabbage). This is an indicator, so to test it, I boiled up some of the rice, and made some a little acidic and some a little basic. The color change is obvious.

So it turns out that anthocyanin is a glucoside which can be decomposed through fermentation. It would appear then, that brewing with black rice, or red cabbage (feel free to try) will not yield the desired results.

Interesting: Indican, which is a colorless glycoside, when fermented yields Indoxyl. When Indoxyl is oxidized, you get Indigo Blue. Fermentation colored the world! (just not my beer)

Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

looks like the little science kit i bought for my daughter the other day, came with red cabbage powder, citric acid and baking soda that yields the same effect.

Quick Reply