Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > extra long primary fermentation time question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2010, 02:43 AM   #1
UnderThePorchBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default extra long primary fermentation time question.

Back in the summer I brewed Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale ale. Well life has a way of getting away from us and it is still in my fermentation box in a glass carboy after 12 weeks. I hope to bottle it in a day or so. I have had it at a fairly controlled temp of approx 62F it fermented at 67 maintaining a near constant temp. Any problem with sitting on the yeast this long? and if so what should I be aware of or look for? possible off flavors etc?

Ben

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

hopefully its ok... might want to pitch new yeast for bottling.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 09-21-2010, 03:01 AM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

It's probably fine, but being a pale ale it might not have the aroma you would like it to have. Give it a taste and if it tastes good you can either bottle it now or transfer to a secondary and dry hop it a bit to freshen up the aroma. Do that and it'll probably be even better than you intended from the extra bulk aging!

Old 09-21-2010, 03:15 AM   #4
UnderThePorchBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
It's probably fine, but being a pale ale it might not have the aroma you would like it to have. Give it a taste and if it tastes good you can either bottle it now or transfer to a secondary and dry hop it a bit to freshen up the aroma. Do that and it'll probably be even better than you intended from the extra bulk aging!
I was thinking of this. only problem I may encounter is I know have Hallertaur, cluster, fuggle and EKG. I'll have to see what else I have in the bottom of the fridge in the misc additions box or possibly take something from one of my "ready to brew" buckets and sub it back later

the hop schedule is
1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

if I have cascade do you think .25 oz since it is not really overly hopped to start with?

Old 09-21-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

go with a 1/2 or full oz. but any dryhop will be better than no dryhop. bet it will be good. You just may start doing this to all your beers.

Quick Reply