Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Extended fermentation time using San Diego Super

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Extended fermentation time using San Diego Super

I have used the White Labs WLP090 twice before and had the expected fast and relatively quick fermentation with the last visible air lock activity ending the third, or early on the fourth day. I pitched a starter into a 1.054 wort on the 12th and six days later I am still seeing frequent air lock bubbles. I'm waiting to dry hop until the activity ends. The only difference in the times I have used the yeast and now is that it is summer (nearly) and I have maintained a 62-64F fermentation temp in the swamp cooler. Not a problem, I just wondered if anyone else had seen this yeast take longer to finish if temps were maintained in the low to mid sixties? Recommended temps are 65-68F, btw.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

what your seeing may be co2 that is in the beer, escaping. Not really a sign of active fermentation. If you want to see if it's fermenting you need to check the gravity.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
what your seeing may be co2 that is in the beer, escaping. Not really a sign of active fermentation. If you want to see if it's fermenting you need to check the gravity.
10-4, I considered that and as I will leave it on the yeast for another two weeks, it is an issue only in that I want it to be post fermentation before I dry hop. I'll just wait it out and toss in some Citra the end of this week. Just kinda wondered if anyone else had observed similar activity.

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Old 06-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

In my experience, WLP090 ferments fast even in the low 60's, but it's such a clean hops-forward yeast that if you're not using it to turn your beers around fast, then you should save the money and effort and just use US-05.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply