Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Exploding flask

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
fatherbigfoot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Exploding flask

Well I really did it I just finished building my stir plate and was going to do my first starter on it so I measured out my DME added 2000ml to my 4000 ml Pyrex flask added a drop of de-foamer and my stir bar. I then put it on the electric stove top and commenced to boil. As the flask started to boil I looked a way for maybe 10 seconds and when I looked back the sucker was about to boil over. As I reached for a hot pad to pull it off the heat it really started to gush and then there was a sickening snap and 2000ml of boiling wort spilt all over the kitchen.

Crap now I guess it's back to using growlers for starters. And worse of all I can't use the growler on my new stir-plate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
Tonegroove
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherbigfoot
Well I really did it I just finished building my stir plate and was going to do my first starter on it so I measured out my DME added 2000ml to my 4000 ml Pyrex flask added a drop of de-foamer and my stir bar. I then put it on the electric stove top and commenced to boil. As the flask started to boil I looked a way for maybe 10 seconds and when I looked back the sucker was about to boil over. As I reached for a hot pad to pull it off the heat it really started to gush and then there was a sickening snap and 2000ml of boiling wort spilt all over the kitchen.

Crap now I guess it's back to using growlers for starters. And worse of all I can't use the growler on my new stir-plate
I concur. Electric gets crazy hot in an uneven way. Maybe some layer of buffer might work like a metal disc or small frying pan to make it less painful for the Pyrex.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 204

They just did a thing on TV about how new pyrex can't take the heat of old pyrex. People take it out of the oven and set it on something cold, boom!

Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
fatherbigfoot
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hmm when I was in grad school I used an electric stove on Pyrex. Well live and learn just wish I had not sacrificed my 4000ml flask

Old 11-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
nmfree
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
They just did a thing on TV about how new pyrex can't take the heat of old pyrex. People take it out of the oven and set it on something cold, boom!
It's because newer Pyrex cookware (I can't speak for labware) isn't actually borosilicate glass anymore but is actually regular soda glass that's been tempered. As the saying goes, it works in the kitchen... until it doesn't.

It seems to me that you can tell by looking at the glass itself; borosilicate has a bit of a brownish tinge to it while the soda glass has a green tint.

Home of the world's first Yoctobrewery- brewing beer one sip at a time.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonegroove View Post
I concur. Electric gets crazy hot in an uneven way. Maybe some layer of buffer might work like a metal disc or small frying pan to make it less painful for the Pyrex.
Place the flask in A large pot with water then put the pot on the electric stove.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
beermonster
Recipes 

Yikes, I always put my flask directly on the stove, now I'm worried!

Old 11-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1009 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I got my flask from a lab supply and it says borosilicate right on there. Pyrex is just a brand name for glass products that used to be made from borosilicate but just like bandaids, people got used to calling the glass itself "pyrex". Unfortunately, you don't really know what you're getting if you rely on this brand name.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I knew I had seen it listed to not use an electric stove with flasks...

From the William's Brewing site: "A gas stove is recommended, as electric burners can cause the glass to crack."

Flasks are designed for use with gas burners, such as those you find in labs. So it makes perfect sense (to me) that you should not use them on electric heating elements (to get to boil)...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply