New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Experts please help! Shrimpy Hefe-Weizen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
mcbethenstein
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Experts please help! Shrimpy Hefe-Weizen

I hope that someone on here can help. After I post this I will try emailing Wyeast and White Labs to see if the reps there have any help for me. Here is the background info: I Love Hefes, but I can't seem to make one that doesn't have this shrimp-like sulphury off flavor. I have experimented with different ingredients, different water, fermented high, fermented low, switched out equipment, and lastly tried kegging, but I still get the shrimpy flavor. So I've narrowed it down to the yeast. I have tried both White labs 300 and Wyeast 3068. Both direct pitched and made good sized starters. Used fresh and washed yeast and top cropped yeast...and still all of them have this flavor. At this point I am getting so annoyed by this that I feel like giving up on this style.
So what I am asking for is an explanation of the specific circumstances that allow the weihenstephan strain to produce excessive sulphur. And what processes can I follow in future batches to avoid the excessive sulphur.
I should warn you that I am a super taster... have been ever since chemo, and I would really like to get past this aroma and taste, but I can't.
I know that many fantastic hefes are produced every day, I just want to be among that crowd. Help please!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 05:23 AM   #2
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Ive found that it happens at low fermentation temps. I couldnt tell you the science behind it though. It discipates in primary with my beers. In fact i use that to tell me when to bottle. I think the sulfur is driven away by co2, so raising the temp to around 70 before cold crashing could make a difference. Thats my method anyway.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 73 Posts

Try a bottle of a commercially brewed hefe such as Hogaarden. If you are a "super taster" perhaps the beer is fine and you simply don't prefer that style.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Begin2Brew
Searching for the perfect beer one at a time
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If you have a favorite commercial hefe drink it then harvest the yeast. I did this with FD in heat wheat and it is the best wheat i have ever done.

Bill

Ruffled Feathers Brewery

Old 02-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

We actually enjoy MANY commercial examples... That's my issue. I can't seem to pin down why mine taste shrimpy and theirs don't. I know I have a good recipe... The one time it came out well it took 1st place at a local competition. Im usually not trying to rush them & bottle or keg too early. They usually have a few weeks in primary (2-4).

Old 02-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbethenstein View Post
We actually enjoy MANY commercial examples... That's my issue. I can't seem to pin down why mine taste shrimpy and theirs don't. I know I have a good recipe... The one time it came out well it took 1st place at a local competition. Im usually not trying to rush them & bottle or keg too early. They usually have a few weeks in primary (2-4).
What temp?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 02-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

The last one was at 62 deg in a swamp cooler. The one before that was at 65 ambient. Before that 68 ambient.... I even had one I fermented in our pantry at 76-80.... Banana bomb, then came the shrimpy sulphury. I only recently started using the swamp cooler.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbethenstein View Post
The last one was at 62 deg in a swamp cooler. The one before that was at 65 ambient. Before that 68 ambient.... I even had one I fermented in our pantry at 76-80.... Banana bomb, then came the shrimpy sulphury. I only recently started using the swamp cooler.
Wow, that's strange. I did my graduate work on olfaction. I think there are a bunch of reports of chemo altering olfaction. It's so weird that the commercial examples don't taste that way too though. Any other beers of your give you that taste? What about the grains you are using for these recipes? Side note, Shrimpy Hefeweizen sounds like the worst idea for a beer ever.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 02-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
Try a bottle of a commercially brewed hefe such as Hogaarden. If you are a "super taster" perhaps the beer is fine and you simply don't prefer that style.
FYI, that is a Wit, not a Hefe.

To the OP, DANSTAR has a dry German Wheat yeast you may want to give a shot.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Have you tried ramping the temp? For example, ferment at 64 till activity slows (only a few days), then bump up to 68 or 70? That would be different than fermenting the whole time at 70.

For me it's the change in temp that drives off the sulfur. This is purely anecdotal evidence and nothing remotely scientific. Though I suspect, as seabass said, it's the CO2 coming out of solution that carries away the sulfur.

Also, we know this yeast is a beast and works quickly (My last one went from 1.052 to 1.016 in less than 48 hours, at 64 degrees). So they finish quick and poop out. Raising the temp wakes 'em back up to finish their job. Again, purely speculative, but this has worked for mine. Loads of sulfur before, not even a hint after.

EDIT: I'm no super taster, but am very sensitive to off flavors.

Quick Reply