Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Ever used 1275, Thames Valley Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2014, 01:40 AM   #1
bzwyatt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

Default Ever used 1275, Thames Valley Ale?

I am making an ESB with it. I made one a while back, didn't like it much, but I've overhauled my recipe to give it another shot. 1275 isn't a really common ESB yeast, but when I was looking for a yeast to use I picked it because I love the way Thames is pronounced. I just love that word and anything called 'Thames Valley' is awesome.

So I checked the profile on Wyeast's site

https://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeastst...ail.cfm?ID=138

and it says flocculation is Medium-Low. I'm going to do other research, but how will that compare to a yeast that has high flocculation? Will it have more yeast in suspension after it is done? Should I cold-crash it, or chill it in the bottle for longer before drinking if I don't want a lot of yeast flavor? Or will it just make a really dry beer because yeast stay suspended in the beer longer? I'm guessing not, because attenuation is 72-76%, and that is independent of flocculation, right?

So is this going to make a more 'yeasty' beer?

The description says it is clean, but how can that be if it has low flocculation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2014, 05:34 AM   #2
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 152

What was it you didn't like about the beer you made?

Old 04-22-2014, 05:47 AM   #3
Gar
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 22

made a 20 gallon batch of stout about 15-16 months ago and seperated it into 5 gallon batches and used different yeast in each one. thames valley was one of them. ive not set and tried a side by side but a few guys at the LHBS did and all of them liked thames valley the best.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Too malty, hops presence was not smooth. Just a bad recipe I think, made it on a whim in beersmith.

I'm hopeful for this one, just know more about yeast now (and every other aspect of brewing) than I did then so I'm wondering about anybody else's experience with 1275.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I use it every year in the fall at hop harvest time to brew a "wet hopped" brown ale. I found a number of SN Tumbler clone recipes that used it. My recipe calls for 85% MO/10% C60 and then equal parts chocolate + smoked malt, with Centennial hops for bittering and Cascade late additions. Thames Valley definitely gives the beer a nice malty profile, but a clean finish--I think it tastes very fresh.

I use whirlfloc, about a month in fermentation, and then a 2 day cold crash before packaging and it always clears beautifully in the bottle.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Oh sounds nice.
Thanks for replies.

Is it a slow starter?

I've never had a yeast do this - about 18 hours after pitching, almost all the trub was floating and the airlock was bubbling but it was still, mostly, under all the floating solids.

After about 36 hours it is actively fermenting, all swimming and swirling.

My yeast wasn't so fresh and I didn't make a starter. That is probably why it started slow, but I've heard some strains (irish yeast, is it wlp004?, is one) start slow. Is 1275 like that?

Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
cavemanbrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made the NB's Elevenses recipe with it and also did not make a starter. My take off time with it was a little longer more like 24 hours, pitched at 74* then into the chamber and got it down to 66* I believe. The finished beer was clear from the bottle even with disturbing the sediment on the bottom of the bottle. It seemed to be a pretty neutral yeast to me but that’s just my opinion.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
bzwyatt
Recipes 

I used two jars of clean rinsed yeast. Normally I make a starter with one, but since I didn't make a starter and it has been a couple months since I rinsed it, I used both jars.

It was about 62 though, kinda forgot about the temp. That definitely could have slowed the start some.

Sounds like everything is good and this should be a good beer.

Thanks again for responses.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #9
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 152

The Wyeast description of yeast says its really clean, enough so that it's suitable for an alt. Is this a temperature-dependent thing? I want some light to moderate amount of British esters for a stout.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #10
Conman13
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I used it on the NB Elevenses recipe also. I thought the beer turned out absolutely fantastic, and very clear. I cold crashed for 24 hours before kegging and pretty much everything floculated out. The yeast character was very neutral, if not slightly nutty and british tasting. I fermented at about 66F. I think it's a terrific yeast.

I don't think you should have any concerns of a yeasty flavor, or low flocculation based on my experience with this yeast.

Quick Reply