Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Estimating Yeast Cells in Rinsed Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
zrule
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Estimating Yeast Cells in Rinsed Yeast

So I have rinsed my yeast and now is in in bottles and has settled out. Is there a formula or a way to estimate the number of cells in the cake at the bottom of the bottle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I don't know of any sure-fire, simple way of estimating cell count, it's volume dependent. IIRC, you can make a starter and the yeast will eventually reach maximum cell density on their own, again depending on their environment (food). Check out MrMalty.com for information on starter size.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
stubbornman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Estimates of cell counts can be made using percent yeast solids of the slurry. Percentage of yeast solids per volume of slurry can be estimated by allowing a sample to sediment under refrigeration and estimating the percent solids. Generally 40-60% yeast solids will correlate to 1.2 billion cells per ml. This will very with the yeast strain. By using this method with every brew, a brewer can achieve consistent pitch rates batch to batch resulting in a more consistent product. The following picture relates sedimentation to cell count.
sedimentation

Taken from and more here: http://www.wyeastlab.com/com-yeast-harvest.cfm

Quick Reply