Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Erlenmeyer Flask on an electric stove top?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
Fishin-Jay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Good advice! Thankfully my first starter was just a 1q starter in a 2000ml flask. Whenever it started to rise I just picked it up off the element and it went down. Now that I moved to a house with only an electric range I'll be boiling my starter wort in a separate container.

There's a thin line between fishing and standing on the shore swinging a stick around like an idiot...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #12
PintOfBitter
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Fermcap FTW!

If you need some in a hurry, go grab some Mylicon (liquid baby gas medicine). probably has some extraneous ingredients, but it's certainly considered food-safe.

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 06-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
jamest22
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To me, the electric burner isn't so much the problem as boiling with the flask inside is. You may have gotten away with the electric burner/stovetop so far, but there is always a risk the flask will crack on you and its best that you and the flask are outside when it does. You do not want a half gallon (or more) of boiling wort gushing down your stove and countertop. Nor do you want glass shrapnel scattering in your kitchen. If you are married your wife may be pissed.

I had a 5000ml erlenmeyer crack open from the bottom while boiling on a turkey fryer in the garage. I had used it fine 6 times before but strangely it cracked the only time I tried adding the DME before the water and the DME was not as well dissolved when it started boiling. That was mess enough but I was so glad it happened in the garage where I could hose it out.

Now i am pressure canning my starter wort instead of using erlenmeyers. I was able to borrow a pressure cooker from my mom. I feel that it saves time ( i can make 1 gallon of starter wort at a time for use any time in the future) and is more convenient.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
Clementine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not that is helps your original question but I can my starter wort and then autoclave (pressure cooker with foil lid) the flask, this way I know nothing lives in my starter by my yeast.

Every time you introduce a step where air is getting in or a transfer takes place it is a chance for wee beasties to get in your starter. I know I'm paranoid but I hate wasting beer.

Clem

Old 07-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #15
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Does anyone boil with the flask on a glass topped electric range? I tried this the other day for the first time (using medium heat) and it worked fine. I know the flask can break at any time but it was just so darned convenient...

Old 07-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #16
Clementine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not wanting to get all technical the problem is not the BTUs rather the point source of contact heat. Gas burners distribute the heat over the area the flame touches (about 1/2" sq) abut an electric stove could be only touching small amounts that would cause stress that could weaken the glass. I'm not saying it will break it just that is my guess why they say not to use electric stove elements.

Quick Reply