Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Erlenmeyer Flask on Electric Burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
WallStreetBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Erlenmeyer Flask on Electric Burner

I am about to begin making my first starter. I have everything ready (the yeast is doing its thing in the smack pack), and am wondering if it is okay to set the flask I am using for my starter on an electric burner.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 04:21 AM   #2
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetBrewing View Post
I am about to begin making my first starter. I have everything ready (the yeast is doing its thing in the smack pack), and am wondering if it is okay to set the flask I am using for my starter on an electric burner.

Thoughts?
No, it will defiantly break if you do this. Cook it up in a separate pot and then pour it into the flask with a funnel.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:21 AM   #3
KCN_Brewer
Recipes 

It'll try really hard to boil over. I mean REALLY hard to boil over. I get mine to a boil and turn my stove down to just a notch above simmer, any higher than that and it's a big mess. Watch it like a hawk.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCN_Brewer View Post
It'll try really hard to boil over. I mean REALLY hard to boil over. I get mine to a boil and turn my stove down to just a notch above simmer, any higher than that and it's a big mess. Watch it like a hawk.
you have used the flask on an electric burner without it breaking?

Old 02-25-2011, 05:24 AM   #5
WallStreetBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I decided to use a pot and funnel into the flask. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

Old 02-25-2011, 06:08 AM   #6
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig View Post
you have used the flask on an electric burner without it breaking?
I have, at least 10 times so far. Idk what flasks homebrewers normally get from homebrew stores, but mine is a really old one from a lab I worked at. The thing is solid as a rock. I might be weakening it, but idk, I'm not too worried... I figure a hot plate isn't much different from a burner if the burner's diameter is slightly bigger than the bottom of the flask.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:17 AM   #7
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The flask should not break on a burner. Glass is made from an extremely high temperature process, so heat alone will not make it shatter.

You are actually more likely to break the flask pouring the hot liquid into it than using it on a burner.

What causes the glass to break is temperature shock. This is why you don't throw hot water onto ice on your windshield. If the flask is at room temperature and then gradually heated then the crystalline structure has time to shift and relax. Sudden shocks does not give that time for the expansion/contraction, and thus shatters.

I have used a flask on a hot plate many times, both at work in the laboratory as well as making starters for brewing. No shattered glass. What I have seen done to shatter the glass, however, was when someone took a hot flask and set it on a cold surface. NEVER do that. Place the flask on a towel or a burner that is off to let it cool.

The real problem with using a good flask on a burner, however, is that there should be little or no cavitation spots, i.e. places for the water to actually boil. This can cause super heating of the fluid, and cause sudden boil over (from fast boil to volcano) when something is placed in the flask with cavitation points, such as a spoon. I actually have a textured rod I put in my flask whenever I use it on the stove to avoid this.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 79

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/first-yeast-starter-pics-227749/

Old 02-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
Rockape66
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I don't know myself. I haven't made a starter with a flask yet, but what about using a double boiler or heating the flask in a pot of water. This should avoid shock, and make temp control easier. Like I said, haven't done it myself, just thinkin'.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
jmferris
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape66 View Post
I don't know myself. I haven't made a starter with a flask yet, but what about using a double boiler or heating the flask in a pot of water. This should avoid shock, and make temp control easier. Like I said, haven't done it myself, just thinkin'.
This.

As burners age on an electric stove, they can lose their ability to evenly heat. A double boiler approach works very well in making sure that there is better heat distribution. My recommendation is that you take a small rack that fits into a pot, fill the pot and flask with water, place the flask on the rack in the pot, and then boil. If you can create any sort of gap between the bottom of the pot and the flask, you are better off.

Temperature change is key, as is even heating. I am burdened with an electric stove, as well, and it is often more trouble than it is worth. The only benefit I have found from it is the ability to help hold temperature on steeping grains from the residual heat of the burner. I can't tell you what the physical difference in temperature is on the burners I have, but I can tell you that I can nicely brown a chicken breast on one side of the pan while scorching one on the other.

Edit:

Should be a little more specific. The "rack" I have is a small round wire rack that came with my rice cooker. Have no idea what it is actually supposed to be used for.

Coming off of a year long brewing hiatus.

Fermenting: Empty
Conditioning: Empty
Consuming: Water
On Deck: TBD

Brewing Blog: http://microbrewology.snaploop.com | Follow Me on Twitter @josephmferris

Quick Reply