The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is this enough Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
barhoc11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Is this enough Yeast?

I need some help from fellow yeast washers...

I recently made a starter with some washed WLP838 that I had from a Dunkel.

I would guess that I had about 1oz of yeast (some sediment and trub mixed in) in the mason jar that I used.

My first step was to take this washed yeast and add it to 2L of 1.040 wort on the stirplate for about a day. After being on the stirplate, I cold crashed the 1 gallon jug I am using for a little over a day. I had a small amount of yeast on the bottom but not a ton so I stepped the starter up with another 2L of 1.040 wort after decanting out as much of the beer from the jug as I could.

Now it has been about 36 hours later and I have had the jug cold crashing for a few hours and noticed what seems to be a good amount of yeast on the bottom (see picture).

My question is this... How can I know how many yeast cells I started with in my washed mason jar (washed at the end of September 2012) and also, does it look like I have enough in this 1 gallon jug to add to 8.5 gallons of wort to make a Helles this weekend?

I hate making starters, especially stepping them up if I don't have to so if I have enough yeast now, I would like to call it a day and get started brewing.

I have used the calculator on yeastcalc.com but its kind of pointless not knowing my starting yeast counts. Can anyone please help me out with this?

Thanks in advance!

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
barhoc11
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nobody can help me out?

Keezer Slot #1 - Wheat Beer
Keezer Slot #2 - Raspberry Wheat
Keezer Slot #3 - Zombie Dust Clone
Keezer Slot #4 - Rye IPA

Old 12-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You could always estimate the count that you put into the starter by using mr malty. Y can estimate % viability based on your dates, and the number of cells based on the amount of slurry you had. Then you plug that number of cells into the calculator as your starting cell count, he volume of the starter, and you will get out the estimated final number. This will all be rough, but without a microscope and hemocytometer you will always be rough.

Good luck!

Old 12-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDoctor View Post
You could always estimate the count that you put into the starter by using mr malty. Y can estimate % viability based on your dates, and the number of cells based on the amount of slurry you had. Then you plug that number of cells into the calculator as your starting cell count, he volume of the starter, and you will get out the estimated final number. This will all be rough, but without a microscope and hemocytometer you will always be rough.

Good luck!
+1, if you go to Mrmalty .com , plug in the numbers and select "repitch from slurry" it will give a good calculation of what you have and need from there.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply