Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Enough aeration? I think my yeast is suffering!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
tdavisii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
So anyway, my concern is the fermentation isn't nearly as violent as it was when I did partial boils. (violent meaning the krausen coming through blow-off tube) This time, it seems much more tame...(bubbles about once a second)
Just because your fermentation is as violent doesnt mean that it isnt doing its job. You mentioned that there was one bubble a second coming from your airlock. That sounds pretty normal for all the American yeast that I have used. Also there are more factors with fermentation then just oxygenation that will effect the feremtation. Personally i would go back and see what else other then just the oxygen you might have done differently. Did you use the same malt? Same OG? Pitch rate? Temp during fermetation? Viability of the yeast? All these things can effect your fermentation. To me it sounds that your beer is fermenting just normally and you did everything correctly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #12
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-boy View Post
I would look at yeast health and pitching rate for your troubles.
I agree with Brew-boy. You didn't mention your OG, but I'm guessing if all you did was pitch a single smack pack that you underpitched. I'd look here first before worrying too much about aeration. My 0.02.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply