LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default English Yeast

I am mostly wanting to make an ESB, northern English brown, English IPA, and probably a porter, stout, and barleywine. I can't stop thinking about an Irish red and a Scottish export 90 and strong though...

I want attenuation to be fairly good (mid 70's) with high flocculation. And I generally ferment in the mid 60's (63-66*).

I'm considering WLP 002, 005, 006 (if it's even available), 1335, and S-04.

I had been also considering 1099 and 1318, but 1335 seemed to overlap more styles in their chart.

Help me decide.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
I am mostly wanting to make an ESB, northern English brown, English IPA, and probably a porter, stout, and barleywine. I can't stop thinking about an Irish red and a Scottish export 90 and strong though...

I want attenuation to be fairly good (mid 70's) with high flocculation. And I generally ferment in the mid 60's (63-66*).

I'm considering WLP 002, 005, 006 (if it's even available), 1335, and S-04.

I had been also considering 1099 and 1318, but 1335 seemed to overlap more styles in their chart.

Help me decide.
I stopped messing with liquids a long time ago. I've gone almost strictly to the S-04 for it's clean fermentation.

Several medals on an ESB, a Vienna Lager (yes I faked it), a blonde ale as well as a few APA's tell me there is nothing wrong with the Safeale-04 dry yeast. Hydrate in warm water at the beginning of your brew process and you'll gain 4-5 hours in fermentation start times.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I really like 007 and have had success with several of those styles using it especially ESB, EIPA, and porters, and have had good results with 005 too, not the bigest fan of 002.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Here's the thing. If you want to brew all of those styles with the same yeast and get results that are going to be in line with the BJCP style, a yeast like S-04 or Notty would probably be your best choice. Easy to use, clean and bland, very repeatable. The anemic, wonderbread of yeasts.

However, the beauty of using liquid English yeasts has everything to do with messing around with choice. Each yeast has its own unique flavors, some better suited to certain styles than others. Before you try and find one English yeast to brew everything with, first ask yourself what you are looking to get out the yeasts flavor-wise. Malty, dry, sweet, fruity, some butterscotch or none, minerally, woody, neutral... you get the picture.

All that withstanding, the cleanest yeasts out of your bunch are 1335, s-04, 1099, and 005.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's not on your list but I looooooove wyeast 1968.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
Grannyknot
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I used WLP006 for all my English style beers, except for that I've never made a porter.

Bottled: Little River Brown Ale
On Tap: Greenbriar Session IPA, Root Beer, Appalachian Imperial IPA
Secondary:
Primary: House IPA
On Deck: Mt Hood Kolsch; Raspberry Cascade Ale

Old 01-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I've been repitching several English styles on a yeast cake of British Ale II (WY1335). I'm very happy with it. The only problem was that when first activated, the pack barely puffed up at all. I still made a starter with it and it took right off without any problems. I hear others have the problem with the pack not puffing up like expected.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 46

"...first ask yourself what you are looking to get out the yeasts flavor-wise."

My understanding is that English beers are generally more malty. And so I suppose that's something I'm after.

According to Wyeast it seems 1335 would be my ideal choice...

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
frailn
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Whenever it comes around in the Private Collection line up again, try Wyeast 1469. It's a fun yeast to make clones of ales from the Yorkshire area of the UK. Timothy Taylor Landlord, Riggwelter, etc.... I love this yeast and always collect some of the gooey thick krausen from the fermentation bucket once it starts fermenting. Then, store it in a mason jar with sterilized water in the fridge.

Quick Reply