New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > english mild 1st 12 hrs temp too warm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
UnderThePorchBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default english mild 1st 12 hrs temp too warm

Yesterday I brewed an English mild and used Wyeast witbread strain. This is the first time using this yeast. On the site it says the temperature range is 65 to 75 degrees F. I put the carboy downstairs in the basement on the concrete floor thinking my basement is always upper60's to at most 70 in the summer. this morning fermentation was getting started so left it there and went to work with the temp being 68/70. came home this afternoon and was up to 77 so I quickly got it into the fermentation chamber with some ice packs to get it back down to the 70 range. (I know, I should have put it right in yesterday but lesson learned, heat wave in PA with temps over 100 does heat up the basement also. )

My questions. I have searched and looked at many posts here and know that if it continues to ferment at a high temp I will get fusels etc and off tastes but how much right at the beginning would 12 hrs of 75 to 77 degrees cause with this yeast? esp in a pale mild? and if I primary it for two weeks would this be enough time for the yeast to clean up some? also should I try to get it down to 65 rather than 70? any advice on helping to recover from a stupid mistake would be much appreciated.
Ben

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Clementine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A couple of thoughts....

More damage to your yeastise can be done by changing temps rapidly than a bit of slow increase to a higher temp? (not fact just a thought, if you every get a chance to ask a yeast about this please do... and the stop drinking)

This is still an Ale yeast and compared to some of the less well equipped brewers out there your slip was not severe at all. Also I doubt if your brew was that hot for that long if the max temp was 77 and it took 12 hrs to get there it was only out of specs for a few hrs.

To make you feel better (let face is little you can do about it now accept drink up), think about how much sugar was consumed by the yeast in the period of out of your desired temp range, that is the percentage of different flavors you will get so hopefully not that much. So small a margin out of temp range I doubt much fusel alcohol production happened anyway mostly just fruitier flavors of esters.

If at bottling you notice excess esters you don't like find a spot in the back of the cupboard and leave it there for 6 months and it will totally change!

Clem

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply