BrewHardware Giveaway- Winners Drawn - 24 hours to claim!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Effect of temperature fluctuations on lagering

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
bertmurphy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Effect of temperature fluctuations on lagering

I'm currently fermenting a strong scotch ale with Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast. I let it sit in the primary for two weeks at 57F, then I transferred to secondary a few days ago. Ray Daniels suggests fermenting a strong scotch ale at around 55F in the primary for a couple weeks, then letting it sit in the secondary for a month or so at around 40F. I don't really have a good way to control a low temp like that, so I just put the carboy in the unfinished basement where the temp swings from 62F in the afternoons down to 45F at night.

How important is it to maintain a constant temp when doing this kind of cold conditioning?

With cold conditioning/lagering in general can I just go from the primary fermenter to bottles and lager them in the bottles? That would be more convenient, as you could more easily find space for the bottles in a fridge.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply