Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > The effect of lagering on yeast (altbier)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
OBecian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default The effect of lagering on yeast (altbier)

I'm planning on brewing an all-grain altbier with ale yeast, but I'm confused when it comes to cold conditioning the beer after two weeks of fermentation at 65 degrees. I was planning on putting the fermentor in the fridge for a month, but wouldn't this cause the yeast to precipitate to the bottom, and cause carbonation problems when I bottle? Or is it acceptable to ferment, bottle, and then cold condition for a month, like I do with any beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have read posters that say they cold crash their fermenter 3 or 4 days before bottle time with no ill effects. To be safe, I say bottle it and then cold condition it.

I know I have had bottled brews change dramatically with longer fridge time.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
mithion
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It probably depends on the yeast strain you're using. I brewed an altbier in February with Wyeast 1007. Did 3 weeks in primary at 60F and then 4 weeks in the Fridge. If you noticed, Wyeast 1007 is a low flocculating yeast and will stay in suspension forever. After the cold conditionning, I bottled as usual and it carbed up no problem. Which yeast are you using using?

Primary:
Secondary: Chimay Tripel #1
Conditioning: The Day After Christmas Eve Old Ale, Phil's Classic English #2
Drinking: Irish Rebellion
Next Beer: Earthly Brown

Old 05-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
OBecian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The recipe calls for White Labs European Ale yeast (WLP011), which has a medium flocculation level. Your suggestion of a low flocculation yeast gives me something to think about. However, aren't altbiers supposed to finish clear and 'crisp' like a lager? Would a low flocculation yeast make the beer more cloudy and yeasty and produce something similar to a dunkelweizen?

Old 05-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
mithion
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That's a great point. However, 1007 is a really clean yeast flavor and aroma wise. It can tolerate low temperatures (I've heard people going in the mid to low 50s) so it can ferment clean. The flocculation problem is an issue as Alts are suppose to be bright and clear. But Alts get that pseudo lager quality from cold laggering, not just from yeast. By laggering your beer, even low flocculation yeast like 1007 will floc out. I think Wyeast 1007 was designed as an Alt strain. On Mr. Malty's website, he claims Wyeast 1007 German Ale is the same as WLP036 which is a Dusseldorf Alt strain.

Primary:
Secondary: Chimay Tripel #1
Conditioning: The Day After Christmas Eve Old Ale, Phil's Classic English #2
Drinking: Irish Rebellion
Next Beer: Earthly Brown

Tags
altbier, cold

Quick Reply