Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Educate me on British yeast strains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2009, 01:08 AM   #1
jmo88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Educate me on British yeast strains

I will be expanding my brewing repertory with liquid strains after the new year thanks to a stir plate. So I'd like to discuss british yeast strains. I know that I will eventually stumble on a house british yeast that fits my needs, but I'd like to be steered in the right direction.

The flavor profile I am looking for is Samuel Smith. I know that the Yorkshire yeast is a seasonal strain, so I am wondering if another yeast provides similar qualities. Any thoughts on a similar and more accessible liquid strain?

One concern I have after researching the short blurbs from Wyeast and White Labs is that British yeast attenuates rather low. Most of the yeasts with stronger esters have lower attenuation and cleaner yeasts have a higher attenuation (like Nottingham). I don't plan on making ales lower than 1.050 and I will frequently make beers in the 1.065 range so a low attenuating yeast might not fit a higher gravity beer.

Lastly, I am less interested in making recipes true to English styles and more interested in a yeast with a Sammy Smith flavor profile capable of a wide range of possibilities.

I don't know where to start. Where do think a good place to start would be?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo88 View Post
I will be expanding my brewing repertory with liquid strains after the new year thanks to a stir plate. So I'd like to discuss british yeast strains. I know that I will eventually stumble on a house british yeast that fits my needs, but I'd like to be steered in the right direction.

The flavor profile I am looking for is Samuel Smith. I know that the Yorkshire yeast is a seasonal strain, so I am wondering if another yeast provides similar qualities. Any thoughts on a similar and more accessible liquid strain?

One concern I have after researching the short blurbs from Wyeast and White Labs is that British yeast attenuates rather low. Most of the yeasts with stronger esters have lower attenuation and cleaner yeasts have a higher attenuation (like Nottingham). I don't plan on making ales lower than 1.050 and I will frequently make beers in the 1.065 range so a low attenuating yeast might not fit a higher gravity beer.

Lastly, I am less interested in making recipes true to English styles and more interested in a yeast with a Sammy Smith flavor profile capable of a wide range of possibilities.

I don't know where to start. Where do think a good place to start would be?
Dude, I love Wy1968. It under attenuates just a little bit (wyeast says 71%) but it leaves slight esters and flocs really well after a couple weeks.

With a stirplate I bet you could grow up a nice culture of sam smith's yeast from the bottle. think they use the same one for bottling and fermentation?
Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 12-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I know Ringwood yeast is a very very Brit style of yeast. Its also a yeast that will no settle to the bottom as well. Very strange stuff. I believe Shipyard Brewing is a Ringwood brewery.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

+1 on the 1968 - love that yeast. It really brings out the maltiness in any beer.

Why don't you just brew up a big batch of a typical brown ale, split it up into 1-2 gal testers and pitch with every yeast you want to test?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Ringwood seems like a lot of work. I think I need more experience before heading that direction.

I'll have to research if Sammy smith bottle conditions with the same yeast. I might have to try that. Save a few bucks while I'm at it too.

Is there a British yeast that can do 72-75% attenuation that still has a strong ester character?

Old 12-21-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Both Wyeast and White Labs sell the Ringwood strain. White Labs is WLP-005 and Wyeast is 1187.

Take a look at this chart that shows where the White Labs and Wyeast yeast strains come from.

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

Quick Reply